Something Weird is Going On With my Tang

Trenton Henderson

Copper treatments weaken a fishes immune system. This sounds like a possible bacterial infection to me. It would be best to treat your tang in a separate quarantine tank to prevent a possible spread of the infection. Treatment with antibiotics may be helpful. Here's some info that may be useful to you. http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

Sounds like your quarantine system wasn't cycled. A water change will not "take care of nitrites".

A completely cycled tank is what you need. Adding fish to an un-cycled quarantine system is a way to increase stress and will lead to the eventual death of fish.

A proper qt system is completely cycled...ie always setup and running. An emergency qt is usually what happens...fish comes down with ich, aquarists toss together a "qt" system, and then are surprised by high ammonia and nitrite.

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 1

I always keep several squares of filter flow in the sump of my display tank so I always have an instant bio filter for qt. I know it's a little late now but a thought for the future.

If you can continue to do large water changes daily you can keep the nitrite down but it makes meds hard to control.

It's definitely my water quality. I'm doing a 50% water change tonight. I've got high nitrites. If I clean up those nitrites will he heal?

I understand that you are fairly new to the hobby Trenton.

Ammonia NH3>Nitrites(NO2)>Nitrates(NO3). Anearobic bacteria in Liverock/Deep Sand Bed will reduce Nitrates(NO3) Also water changes if Nitrates are high (20ppm)

Is it high Nitrites or Nitrates that you have? Adding live Aerobic bacteria may be helpful in converting Nitrite into less toxic Nitrate. If it is high NO2 don't change water. It will only lengthen the time of cycling your tank.

*Please excuse me if I am stating what may be obvious to others. We were are beginners once! :)

Just sharing, because many of us have been there and feel your pain...

A couple of good things to keep handy for the QT:

1)  An ammonia detector

41e7XCJ8QdL.jpg

2)  Ammonia remover

alpha_large.png

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/alpha.html

These are handy to have if you get an unexpected spike.  

I love Randy's suggestion to have backup filter material full of good bacteria handy as well.

It is tough keeping QT cycled, and then there is often overfeeding because fish don't always eat right away.

I run a big a** skimmer too in the QT, to help with export.  It gives some lee way for overfeeding and keeps the water quality up.

Well good luck!

• Like 1

Just sharing, because many of us have been there and feel your pain...

A couple of good things to keep handy for the QT:

1)  An ammonia detector

41e7XCJ8QdL.jpg

2)  Ammonia remover

alpha_large.png

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/alpha.html

These are handy to have if you get an unexpected spike.  

I love Randy's suggestion to have backup filter material full of good bacteria handy as well.

It is tough keeping QT cycled, and then there is often overfeeding because fish don't always eat right away.

I run a big a** skimmer too in the QT, to help with export.  It gives some lee way for overfeeding and keeps the water quality up.

Well good luck!

Aquavitro looks like a great product! I was just about ready to suggest using Prime. Thanks for the info theclark! :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I knew that it wasn't smart as soon as I put them in the qt tank. I know better; I've done it enough times. My tang is losing tail by the hour, so it may be too late. I have some sand in my qt tank, do u recommend it to have rock too? Most people I here just say bare bottom. Would it just make my life easier to use more live sand and live rock with a skimmer?

Sand and rock in a qt make meds hard to control. Especially copper, where the line between therapeutic and toxic are so slim. Both will absorb copper, and other meds. Sounds like bacterial or fungal infection. Furan, I think I'm remembering right, can help if you can find it. There are a couple of milder antibiotic medications that are common and readily available. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a better memory. Sucks getting old.

Yeah, I knew that it wasn't smart as soon as I put them in the qt tank. I know better; I've done it enough times.

Sorry I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, most of us have made the same mistake, especially if you've been in the game long enough. Oftentimes we are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to fish.

To bad we can't just dip fish like we dip corals:)

Good luck! I'm hoping your fish makes a miracle recovery...and kole tangs can do it!

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 1