Shipment got delayed!

Doug29

UH OH! Kinda depends on the fish and if it gets to your house today, if you don't get it till Monday they are all most likely gonners. Sorry to hear that this has happened. I have had a number of bad fish shipping experiences so I try and have my local guys deal with the shipping cost, DOAs, getting them to eat, and illnesses before I grab my fish, I also enjoy seeing them before purchase. Does this place have any guarantees so to speak?

Just saw that you are in the Dalles,  probably not alot of fish stores there? That can make things difficult. Fingers crossed for you buddy.

Edited by badxgillen

There's a snowstorm in Memphis that's affecting pretty much all shipping. Sorry about your fish :-(

FedEx Express National Service Disruption

Last updated February 21, 2015

Thunderstorms and sleet impacted the Memphis hub last night, resulting in inbound and outbound flight delays. Potential delays are possible for package deliveries across the U.S. with a delivery commitment of February 21, 2015. FedEx is committed to provide service to the best of our ability. Please continue to check fedex.com for updates.

Continue to check the status of your shipments on fedex.com or go to fedex.com for updates to FedEx Service Alerts. You can also contact FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 or stay up to date by subscribing to service disruption email notifications at the FedEx Email Subscription Center.

Operational impacts to other FedEx operating companies may vary due to local weather conditions.

Consistent with the provisions of the FedEx Service Guide, FedEx Express money-back guarantee is suspended for U.S. packages and shipments inbound into the U.S. from international locations with a delivery commitment of February 21, 2015.

I ordered fish and coral from saltwater fish.com and it was supposed to be over night shipping. Well it got stuck in Memphis and still hasn't arrived, they got shipped Thursday night what's the chance everything will make it?

Fish and corals can tolerate some cold better than they can excess heat. Let's hope it all works out ok. I have ordered from them in the past and have been satisfied with their service. Keep us posted on how this turns out.

There's a snowstorm in Memphis that's affecting pretty much all shipping. Sorry about your fish :-(

FedEx Express National Service Disruption

Last updated February 21, 2015

Thunderstorms and sleet impacted the Memphis hub last night, resulting in inbound and outbound flight delays. Potential delays are possible for package deliveries across the U.S. with a delivery commitment of February 21, 2015. FedEx is committed to provide service to the best of our ability. Please continue to check fedex.com for updates.

Continue to check the status of your shipments on fedex.com or go to fedex.com for updates to FedEx Service Alerts. You can also contact FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 or stay up to date by subscribing to service disruption email notifications at the FedEx Email Subscription Center.

Operational impacts to other FedEx operating companies may vary due to local weather conditions.

Consistent with the provisions of the FedEx Service Guide, FedEx Express money-back guarantee is suspended for U.S. packages and shipments inbound into the U.S. from international locations with a delivery commitment of February 21, 2015.

Saltwaterfish.com has a 15 day live guarantee. If there are any DOAs, they should honor that.

Gas up the truck and head into portland for your fish needs! Cheaper than overnight shipping...and you can hand pick your pre-quarantined, pre-fed fish! Most LFS in the area are good about doing that...most.

I will buy only tank raised fish to avoid disease and parasites.  Also it is 86 miles one-way to the nearest fish store, and online is cheaper?

I will buy only tank raised fish to avoid disease and parasites.  Also it is 86 miles one-way to the nearest fish store, and online is cheaper?

So you like having the option of roughly 4 different kinds of fish in your tank? Because that's about all you have for choices if you're keeping tank raised fish.

Sorry but that's one of the most ignorant statements I've ever seen, just because a fish is tank raised has little to do with diseases. In fact it's commonly believed that tank raised fish can be more susceptible to disease because of coming from such sterile environments. 

Similar to humans never being exposed to the common cold, the flu etc... The more were exposed to different strains we become more resistant. 

• Like 1

1. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2168&aid=2513

Parasites and disease

Parasites can greatly increase the stress and decrease the survivability of all fish. Parasites and bacterial infections can be a major concern in clownfish. Tank raised clownfish are well managed to prevent parasites and generally do not suffer from internal parasites like some wild harvested fish do.

2. http://www.madhattersreef.com/5-reasons-to-buy-tank-rasied-fish/

Tank raised fish are healthier.  Wild caught fish have a higher risk of being infected with parasites and other diseases more so than captive bred fish. This is due to the fact that most breeders will take the necessary steps to prevent disease and treat parasites. Another great fact about tank raised fish is they come from a control environment and are more adapted to aquarium life. This makes them less fearful and more friendly to other tank mates, then their wild caught counterparts.

3. https://www.coralreeffarm.com/aquacultured-live-rock-corals.php

Every time you take a fish out of the ocean, you are disturbing an ecosystem.  In addition, if you catch a fish directly from the ocean, there is no telling what sort of bacteria or diseases the fish might be carrying.  Tank raised fish were bred for one reason—to be part of saltwater fish tanks.  In some sense, you can think of tank-raised fish as “cured” fish.  As such, aquarium hobbyists seek out tank raised fish rather than fish that come directly from the ocean. 

4. http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/benefits-buying-captive-bred-marine-fish-sustainability-998/

Superior hardiness

Wild-collected fish endure quite an ordeal in the chain of custody from the time they’re captured on some far-away reef until they reach your local fish store. Many specimens succumb to the cumulative stress at some point along the way or at their final destination in the hobbyist’s tank. Captive-bred specimens don’t experience these rigors and, therefore, have a much better rate of survival.

More likely disease-free

Specimens bred in captivity are less likely to be exposed to the various pathogens and parasites that plague wild specimens, so there’s a greater chance they’ll arrive in your aquarium in a healthy, disease-free state. However, that doesn’t mean they’re bulletproof! They’ll still get sick if they’re ever placed in a tank that contains (or contained) infected wild specimens.

So you like having the option of roughly 4 different kinds of fish in your tank? Because that's about all you have for choices if you're keeping tank raised fish.

Sorry but that's one of the most ignorant statements I've ever seen, just because a fish is tank raised has little to do with diseases. In fact it's commonly believed that tank raised fish can be more susceptible to disease because of coming from such sterile environments. 

Similar to humans never being exposed to the common cold, the flu etc... The more were exposed to different strains we become more resistant. 

You are one smooth talking devil.  And very ignorant!  First I am setting up a breeding facility and tank raised fish are easier to deal with.  As to their health, I have listed four articles that will explain the reduced exposure to disease and parasites.  If this doesn't cure the ignorance, let me know and I will post another 10 or 20 articles to help finish your education.

Well back to the topic of this post.. lol. I think the fish aren't going to make the trip if they even get here Monday their still in portland, I dunno about the coral though and I got some cleaner clams which I highly doubt they'll make it. It suck to have this experience the first time I order online!

I ordered some corals a few years back from a group out of NY. They didn't pack them well and although they were overnighted the corals water temp was 55 degrees. They were already dying in the bags. Good to see that they will take care of you. I ended up being out $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug I'd say more likely than not the fish are gonners... 

You are one smooth talking devil.  And very ignorant!  First I am setting up a breeding facility and tank raised fish are easier to deal with.  As to their health, I have listed four articles that will explain the reduced exposure to disease and parasites.  If this doesn't cure the ignorance, let me know and I will post another 10 or 20 articles to help finish your education.

No, 20 years of this hobby will teach you a thing or two and breeding a few different types of fish over the years gives me a little first hand knowledge of the subject. 

So let's start with your extremely flawed logic... Your wonderful skills of copy and paste are halfway correct, yes all of those things are in fact true but you forget one major factor. All of the above statements are true within your sterile little closed environment. Now sell all of those wonderful captive raised never exposed to disease fish and watch them get dumped into tanks full of wild caught fish. Guess what, a portion of those fish get sick and die. 

The fact that collection and shipping is extremely stressful and adds to the mortality rate is a no brainer, all fish ship like crap get sick stressed and a portion of them die. So yes removing the shipping and collection factor does help, but none of that applies unless you are keeping them in their sterile environments, once removed and introduced to their wild counterparts they're now exposed to a gumbo pot of different diseases and parasites that they have no immunity to what so ever unlike in the wild where they get sick and either fish off infections and diseases or die.

You can jerk off on the MBI board all you want and pat yourself on the back but be careful how you throw rocks...

Edited by Arsonmfg

Doug I'd say more likely than not the fish are gonners... 

No, 20 years of this hobby will teach you a thing or two and breeding a few different types of fish over the years gives me a little first hand knowledge of the subject. 

So let's start with your extremely flawed logic... Your wonderful skills of copy and paste are halfway correct, yes all of those things are in fact true but you forget one major factor. All of the above statements are true within your sterile little closed environment. Now sell all of those wonderful captive raised never exposed to disease fish and watch them get dumped into tanks full of wild caught fish. Guess what, a portion of those fish get sick and die. 

The fact that collection and shipping is extremely stressful and adds to the mortality rate is a no brainer, all fish ship like crap get sick stressed and a portion of them die. So yes removing the shipping and collection factor does help, but none of that applies unless you are keeping them in their sterile environments, once removed and introduced to their wild counterparts they're now exposed to a gumbo pot of different diseases and parasites that they have no immunity to what so ever unlike in the wild where they get sick and either fish off infections and diseases or die.

You can jerk off on the MBI board all you want and pat yourself on the back but be careful how you throw rocks...

Are you threatening me?  If I come to the next meeting are you going to beat me up?  It would be nice if you paid dues if you have so much to say.

Edited by Pontus

No threats so far but if you'd like to keep trying to make this personal I'd love to continue the discussion face to face, I have a feeling you'd probably change your angle. If you'd like me to continue to educate you on the subject feel free to PM me.

Doug, sorry for the hijack... SWF.com is pretty good about standing behind their orders, a lot of shipping companies are having trouble with the crazy weather on the eastern part of the country.

It's OK yea the storm hit at the worst time possible oh well I guess. I wish I can change the order one fish I got might have not made it any way it needs to be trained to eat other then pods so I set a 10 gal quarantine to train it but it hasn't arrived

No threats so far but if you'd like to keep trying to make this personal I'd love to continue the discussion face to face, I have a feeling you'd probably change your angle. If you'd like me to continue to educate you on the subject feel free to PM me.

Doug, sorry for the hijack... SWF.com is pretty good about standing behind their orders, a lot of shipping companies are having trouble with the crazy weather on the eastern part of the country.

You are the one who made it personal. Ignorant is a very friendly word.  Do you really believe at 35 years of age you could beat up a 68 year old man with heart trouble.  You must be a hell of a tough person.