help with plumbing a durso

dsoz

I am going to drill my tank for a bulkhead and an external durso, and I have some questions that I was hoping that people here can help with. I think I understand the Durso standpipe, and I have seen the external connections on Wegotjs's tank. I want to do something similar.

I have a 45g tank, and Joel talked me into getting a 1 1/2 in drain, and a 3/4 inch return bulkhead (I was only going to get a 1 inch drain and a 1/2 in return, he said that would not be enough flow). I bought all the fittings for the drain, but have not bought any PVC for the return. Right now I have it so it can be used as a 1/2 inch return with some vinyl hose and 3 PVC elbows to flow over the wall of the tank. I know that I will need to get a union for the pump, and switch the 1/2 in nipple to a 3/4 inch nipple. This should be no problem. My questions are:

#1 how to decide WHERE to drill the holes. I don't have a built in overflow. I can make one, but was wondering if it was really needed. I bought one of the basket strainers to screw into the bulkhead, and was thinking that it may be enough. If it is, how low should the hole be drilled? How close to the top edge of the tank is too close, and what is acceptable?

#2 coming out of the bulkhead is a T fitting. It seems to me that if I use PVC cement then that T and bulkhead will never come out of the tank. What if I want to upgrade the tank in the near future and don't want to get a new bulkhead and plumbing? Would it be OK to just silicone the T into the bulkhead? That way it is not permanent, but also won't leak.

#3 What about 45 and 90 degree bends. I heard somewhere that they were bad because they make a lot of noise. But how do I get the PVC to go UNDER the tank into the sump if I cannot use 45 and 90 degree bends?

I have about a week to figure this out before the tank gets moved, and holes are drilled while it is taken apart. Help me plan this out.

dsoz :)

i dont know about not having an overflow. I did mine with a sheet of black acrylic that i bent into a u shape and cut for height then used a dremel to makethe teeth. helped with the surface skimming and sice i had a small sump it gave me an extra spot to hide heaters and such.

as for gluing your drain fittings you really dont need to. just be sure everything is somewhat snug and since there is no pressure on the drain side it wont leak. That way you can always take ot apart for upgrades or cleaning. If you get a fitting that is threaded for PVC on one side and barbed on the other then you can use flexible tubing like what you are using for your return as your drain line. the top of the durso. the tee fitting, the cap, and a small bit of pvc to give you the downward start are all that need to be rigid pvc. then just switch to the vinyl and you will have a quieter drain with more flow.

Thanks for the reply, but do they make vinyl tubing in 1.5 inch? I did not see any barbed fittings that large. Would any store around cary them. I heard that Woody at Seahorse has a large selection of plumbing supplies. Do you think he would have them?

You can get the Spaflex at Parkrose hardware and also from Patrick at Fantaseas. I think PRH also has 1 1/2 in just the plastic cheaper hose to. They also have all the barbed fittings that you need. Plus they are right across the street from Fantaseas just another reason to go there(rock2) Good luck with the plumbing I just finished my big tank and did my sons a while ago. How are you going to drill the holes? Do you have a bit? If not pm me I can set you up.

How are you going to drill the holes? Do you have a bit? If not pm me I can set you up.

I think J&Jr has bits, and he has offered to let me use them. If he does not have the right size I'll be sure to ask you. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

A little behind here...if you want flex, go with the spa flex and not vinyl. The vinyl kinks to easy. I myself installed external dursos with small overflow boxes. I am sure you have already tackled this project but let me know if you need anything...I have big hole cutters!

Kris

Actually with my tank leaking, and deciding on upgrading... I never got around to drilling my 45g tank. Which is a good thing, because I am going to use it for the sump for the 75g that I plan on buying this week (maybe even tomorrow, or is it today already...)

J&Jr had the bits that I need for the bulkheads that I bought already. They are sitting on my workbench as I type. Once I buy the tank I will drill the holes and add water by the end of the month (next week is vacation).

Thanks for the offer on the bits. :)

dsoz