Powder Blue Tang vs. Achilles Tang

Peng

My powder blue is killing the Achilles. I've had this fish for a while and everytime I introduce a fish that's close to size it goes crazy and horrifying. 2 weeks ago I bought an AT and PBT is going crazy even if it's smaller than AT. Since my PBT is very fat, it easily defeated and scratched AT... I tried to remove the PBT from QT (I'm doing a fallow DT treatment to ich) I really don't know what to do with this. The PBT is so beautiful but so scary... The QT is 60 gallons. I'll have to put the PBT into an isolation box. The wound on ATO shows infection..

why does that matter? It's still to small and you are introducing new fish to an already stressed situation.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I'm not able to upgrade the QT and I don't want to rehome any of them.

Maybe adding a Sohal, it should keep the PBT in check ;)

Bingo!

Seriously though... Like usual you ask for help, you're given the only real answer to your situation and you choose to ignore it. 

First off those two fish shouldn't be kept together in anything less than a 300 gallon + tank, they're the same genus. They're both going to try to kill one another no matter what do you. Nothing is going to stop it.

I guarantee you both of those fish will be dead in less than a month anyways...

Quit wasting your money on fish that are both better left in the ocean.

• Like 1

Its near impossible to keep two tangs from that genus together. They are just too agressive. One of them will have to go, especially in such a small tank. Even with it being a quarentine there is just not enough room. I personally wouldnt even try it in a 300 gallon tank.

Probably not a great option, but you might try making sure there is always some dry algae

in the clip. If I put some in the clip daily it will always be eaten by the fish in my tank.

I have read that this will make the tangs less aggressive. Currently I have a Blue Tang, a

Yellow Tang and a Sailfin Tang all in a 200 gallon tank. The three tangs seem to co-habitat

well together. I cannot say the same with a Tomatoe Clown that will not tolerate two smaller

Clowns I tried to put into the tank. Probably the Tomatoe will be up for sale or trade very soon! BTW, the

three tangs are all about the same size (4"). I know it is tough to give up a beautiful fish. I hope you

can make it work.

Powder Blue's and Achilles Tangs are not compatible! While both species can get along with other tangs, they are very aggressive towards one another and housing them in the same tank should not be attempted. Pick the one you like more and sell the other. Or, if you have to have both, set up a second tank; just don't put them together and expect anything other than aggression, ich and eventually loss of fish. 

Powder Blue's and Achilles Tangs are not compatible! While both species can get along with other tangs, they are very aggressive towards one another and housing them in the same tank should not be attempted. Pick the one you like more and sell the other. Or, if you have to have both, set up a second tank; just don't put them together and expect anything other than aggression, ich and eventually loss of fish.

nice to meet u today!

Hi everyone sorry for the late response. I see all your replies. Thanks for everyone's suggestions :) The two have stopped being aggressive to each other recently. I'm dealing with ich now since the new AT introduced ich and I don't have a lot experience with QT so nutrients went up quickly after overfeeding. One month ago I used cupramine to treat PPT & Blue T & mandarin and they all got through it for 2 weeks :D

But now I have to do it again... 

If after a while they turn against each other again, I can sell PPT or AT after ich treatment. I really like my PPT. It's a very strong fish, and it eats all kinds of things. It has been with me for half a year...went from a skinny cow to a fat cat... But it's super aggressive.

If I posted a thread titled: Yellow tang vs Purple Tang

I may get a similar response, the tang police would be on full alert. Peng, I will hand it to you...you get lots of response on your threads.

I do have two zebrasoma in my 150 tank.

Zebrasoma flavescens(yellow) from Hawaii

and

Zebrasoma xanthurum(purple) Red Sea

These fish were both added on the same day. The yellow is larger than the purple. My tank was primed with lots of algae before the additions. I do see them daily flashing fins at one another, which does add stress of course, but it does not escalate, and the yellow is the boss.

One thing that is extremely important in attempting two tangs of the same genus is the individuals resistance to disease! While dominance is being established, FISH WILL get stressed.

This is really a major reason why Powder Blue's and Achilles are more incompatible than most! When the Achilles bullies the PBT, the PBT stresses....then what? ich is what. Next thing you know you could have yourself a full scale ich outbreak from either of these fish....which is exactly what happened it sounds like.

History repeats itself Peng, best to pick one or the other, and go with some other species of tangs...

100% of my favorite fish never make it into my tank! Meaning: even though I LOVE Cephalopholus Miniata (heck all groupers for that matter), it'll never live in my reef!

trout.jpg

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 3

If I posted a thread titled: Yellow tang vs Purple Tang

I may get a similar response, the tang police would be on full alert. Peng, I will hand it to you...you get lots of response on your threads.

I do have two zebrasoma in my 150 tank.

Zebrasoma flavescens(yellow) from Hawaii

and

Zebrasoma xanthurum(purple) Red Sea

These fish were both added on the same day. The yellow is larger than the purple. My tank was primed with lots of algae before the additions. I do see them daily flashing fins at one another, which does add stress of course, but it does not escalate, and the yellow is the boss.

One thing that is extremely important in attempting two tangs of the same genus is the individuals resistance to disease! While dominance is being established, FISH WILL get stressed.

This is really a major reason why Powder Blue's and Achilles are more incompatible than most! When the Achilles bullies the PBT, the PBT stresses....then what? ich is what. Next thing you know you could have yourself a full scale ich outbreak from either of these fish....which is exactly what happened it sounds like.

History repeats itself Peng, best to pick one or the other, and go with some other species of tangs...

100% of my favorite fish never make it into my tank! Meaning: even though I LOVE Cephalopholus Miniata (heck all groupers for that matter), it'll never live in my reef!

trout.jpg

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Definitely makes sense! I think I may just give one away,