Did you know, know, know....did you knnoowww!?!?

Higher Thinking

I was hanging out at the Premium Aquarium the other day (where else would one go during their free time in Salem?) and talking with Garrett. He informed me that the T. Maxima 'Teardrop' that I got from Douglas was actually a different species of clam that had recently been identified. I was pretty surprised to learn this information so I did some research.

Turns out scientists moved forward to defining two new species of clams: Noae and Ningaloo.  These were previously identified as variant or cryptic species of the Maxima.  The craziest part is that an individual actually identified the Noae as a separate species from Maxima in 1798. Yeah....SEVENTEEN 98.  It only took the scientific community 216 years to jump on board with that guy's identification.  Anyway, pumped to know that my Teardrop Maxima is actually a Tridacna Noae.

Check out this article. There is a lot of scientific information and testing numbers, but it's still very readable. There is some excellent information about distinguishing the two of them. 

62rbz124-135.pdf