Disappearing Clam

racefan

I HAD a Derasa clam that I got at Cuttlefish's grand opening and it had been doing fine. It grew to about 2". Well today I came home from work and all that I have now is an empty clam shell!! Parameters are good, I do weekly water changes (29 gal bio cube with a 10 gal sump, LED's) could the crabs have eaten it? I have several empty shells for them when they out grow what they are in. Fish wise I have 2 clowns & a 6 line Wrasse. Inverts, a couple hermit crabs,a dozen or so nasarius snails (really need to bolster my clean up crew ) everything else in the tank is fine.

I've lost a couple of clams in the past and Higher Thinking has it right. It may or may not be light but once a clam starts to decline they go fast and once they start to go the inhabitants of the system can smell it. While may cratures we keep will ignore a healthy clam, once they start to decline, they instantly look like some kind of ice cream treat that cannot be resisted and a clam can be consumed in very short order.

Sorry for your loss.