Winterization

Bombertech

Well, it’s winterization time. Finally got off my rear and cut a cover for my desk tray. I had a couple sheets of extruded 8x4 laying around so cutting was a mess. Used my jigsaw so the cuts are not the greatest but it got the job done in the little time I had available.

I stockpiled airpack shipping packing all summer to put a nice insulator across the bottom/sides. Need to have the wife sew me a cordura cover for the packing material with some eyelets. I’d like to be able to run the garage down towards 55-60F this year with a single 250W heater for the tanks which looks feasible having all submersible pumps. I cut single piece covers for the 4x4 buckhorns when I moved to keep humidity in check but I need to get some insulation cover blankets for the sides made.

Prior to the move, I had 200 gallons served by 2EA 250W heaters with scrap acrylic covers, no insulation and kept the garage at 60-65F. I'm up to 400 gallons right now so we'll see how efficient we can get this winter. We had an OSA low of -24F last winter and the tanks stayed stable.

The covers should also help with construction debris this winter while setting up the new tank.

The desk tank has a nice lip along the inner edge that worked great, bummer it was 25-1/2"x50-3/8" so I couldn't cut it off the end of an 8x4 sheet.

20140922_125352_zps410fa9cb.jpg

I decided to do a 3 piece cover so I didn't have to pull the entire thing to get in there.

20141020_191421_zps39017c16.jpg

20141020_191400_zps318a621b.jpg

Looking good Matt' date=' love your setup. Sounds amazingly efficient. Salt spray an issue with the cover or do you just crank up the LEDs a bit?[/quote']

Salt spray hasn't been an issue. I do have salt creep on the locline since it is exposed. The condensation you see is drinkable, no noticeable salt. Over here in the summer, I top off 2-3 gallons of RODI a day since the humidity is 10-15%RH. In the garage it gets up to 50%RH.