Dwarf Lionfish Question???

R-3

I just bought a dwarf lionfish last week for my pod and hes doing great! He doesn't seem to like mysis or any frozen stuff yet so today I put a little damsel in there. BAM! GONE! So I guess he really prefers live food. My question is how often I should feed him? I have read feed every two days as many as they will eat in like two minutes. What does everyone think? Also what is everyones favorite fish to feed? I know alot of people do mollies, goldfish or danios but I can get these "Red Rosies" from my LFS for 10 for $1. They are smaller than a goldfish too which is nice for my dwarf.

Heres a link to them- http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rosies.htm

Anyone that has any info would be much appreciated. Later Ryan

Guest Mbeef61

fresh water fish arent good long term...but they can suffice for awhile...heres the trick that i have gotten countless lions to eat...get freeze dried krill...take a piece the size that they would normally eat....and put it in your high flow area....they are orange and before they know it they eat it thinking its a gold fish..

before you know it they will just take them from the top...which can be bad due to gulping air but you can stick feed if you are against it.

stubborn cases sometimes take not feeding them a couple days or more but this has NEVER not worked on a lion that wasnt going to die of starvation. IME

Yeah I thought about doing this for awhile and then slowly easing them into "dead" food. Ive heard the best way to do it is like slip one piece of dead food while feeding live and then increase over time till its all dead food. Later Ryan

When i had one i started with goldfish, it was rather entertaining, but after a while i felt it was time for a change, you can also use a "fish wand" type of thing. I used a Dowel with piece of fishing line and a strong Stainless clip, would clip on a decent size group of frozen mysis and just wand em around. It gives the illusion of them eating while it makes feeding a bit more interactive for you. Im sure they would just start grabbing it as it floated down eventually, but its pretty fun.

Also if you are feeding fresh water fish there is a water adative you can purchase (cant remember the name im sure somoene will) that adds some nutrients for the fish, they just get it by swimming around. But it should ensure that they are getting all the good stuff then need.

Tim