Dosing

momo3419

Well as I'm getting more into the hobby I'm getting to the point where I need to dose. I picked up alk,cal and mag from a shop three weeks ago. There bright well and in the powder/dry form. I was wanting to know how much you'd dose on a 90 mixed reef. I have a little bit of everything LPS,SPS and softies. I would also like to know what color to look for in the Red Sea test kit the reef foundation. All input would be very helpful. Also what should I mix them in. And what's your thoughts on the apex doś system?

Every tank will have different dosing needs. Saying its a 90 gal mixed reef does not give us enough information. Your needs will vary even as your reef grows and matures.

First you need to determine the amount your system is using on a daily or weekly basis. Test the big three parameters, Alk, Cal, and Mag. Leave it alone for a week and test again. Note the drop in results. Divide this by seven and that will give you your daily dosing requirements. Bulk Reef Supply has a reef Calculator on their site that you can plug in the numbers and it will give you amounts in ml. Be careful though, Brightwell might have some different numbers based on their products. Check out their website or printed materials and see if they have a similar formula.

I was also needing help with the Red Sea kit. I don't know when I have the right shade to be correct to have the accurate results.

I use the Red Sea Nitrate kit as well as the Mag and Cal kits. I believe these are all part of the Foundations kit. I go until the color is a constant deep blue. If I remember right with the Mag test the color will change but if you wait a few seconds it will start to fade. Add a drop at a time till the color stays consistent.

I use the Red Sea Nitrate kit as well as the Mag and Cal kits. I believe these are all part of the Foundations kit. I go until the color is a constant deep blue. If I remember right with the Mag test the color will change but if you wait a few seconds it will start to fade. Add a drop at a time till the color stays consistent.

Good tip rworegon!

They also have some great videos online for the red sea kit. Here is the mag video. Something about watching someone do it makes it allot easier: