Just to show off a little

Arminius

Here is a pic of the enclosure I am making for my lizard, Gary.

This is the project in the way of me beginning a new tank build - to begin shortly after completing this.

It has about 200 hours of work in it already, but mostly (like 160 hours) due to the background creation and peripherals.

Also I have created a custom sump, wiring, plumbing, canopy, (not pictured - you can see the unfinished top), and lighting rack that you can't really see at the top of the photo.

I just sort wanted to show off my cabinet making skills, so that I might be able to offer advice, or cabinet building to anyone who is not proficient or have the tools, time, etc.

Offering more than a reasonable prices, of course. (Like materials + $10 - $15 an hour, far less than the $40/hour average) I also have a welding rig, in case anyone might want a steel stand. I can fabricate items out of acrylic as well. A typical stand would take way less time than this thing.

I used to own a full-blown cabinet and fab shop in Arizona before the housing crunch ruined me (and I do mean absolutely ruined)...another story.

[ATTACH]13386[/ATTACH]

post-9028-141867790918_thumb.jpg

Hey thanks - Gary doesn't really like to be handled - he had a stand-off with one of my dogs when he was little and can't stand to be picked up any more. He likes being petted and swimming though. He jumps around a lot.

And is very watchful and places himself to see what is going on. The bottom 9 inches of the tank pictured will be filled with water - all fed from a sump below to a waterfall at the very top middle. The project has slowed way down due to concrete curing times, but I hope to start finish painting the interior this week and get him in there in less than 2 more weeks.

This dog:

[ATTACH]13388[ /ATTACH]

all 97 pounds of him...

post-9028-141867763544_thumb.jpg

Thanks - I need a new macro lens before I can do that, but whatever .

I had to dump a bunch of photo equipment in lean times a little over 2 years ago and haven't made the commitment to pony up for new stuff.

Camera itself isn't everything - you gotta know how to use the tool. These were just quick, hand-held snaps in low light.

Side note: started cleaning up the tank you sold me, I am definitely gonna modify this sucker.

Getting rid of that crappy overflow is going to be the biggest challenge unless I just give that whole left side the chop...

Yeah Garrett, I really like my lizard Gary. We sort of just stare at each other, and he runs over to me to be fed, but doesn't like to be handled. he tolerates petting. But recently I found he likes to be peeled when he is almost through with a molt...

And yeah - I can't wait to clean that tank I got, and get it up on a stnd - thinking of putting in some pretty trick features. Frag station that pulls out, hidden controller/monitor panel. maybe a drawer or two...I'm going to way over do it. And I mill all of my own molding, so it will be cool to match up a few different styles before buttoning it all up. I am going to start a thread as soon as I get a couple projects out of the way - the lizard tank, work on my truck, etc.

Nice nice wish i was crafty as you, me and the gf are thinking about startin a terrarium yours is beast but those water dragona get much bigger then id want so beautiful though. Speaking of dragons that dont like to be handled, when travis got his new water dragon in he was putting it in its tank and it took a good bite at him haha

I can't put live plants int eh tank - Gary is hard on them, but I am going to try some moss and some fake plants. Concrete is almost completely cured - hope to have done by the end of the week - and then I'm going to drive my lady crazy again with all the reef talk she doesn't want to hear...

So moving along with what is in the way before I begin the reef, and since I had such great responses for all of you who replied, I thought I would show some progress.

Have been painting and sealing the lizard enclosure in layers, and I finally got most of the plumbing done. Water comes in through a concealed overflow just left of the large stump at 9" from bottom, goes through a prefilter and into the sump which is plumbed for top-off, return and misting system (not yet installed though I have run the supply and return lines internal to the structure). Water is returned to the very top center waterfall and in the bottom right corner via a 596 gph QuietOne on a BRS silencing pad to keep the water moving.

[ATTACH]13419[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13420[/ATTACH]

post-9028-141867763574_thumb.jpg

post-9028-141867763577_thumb.jpg

Hey thanks Garrett - Plumbing is a big issue for me (and wires) so I try to be really clean about it, but I am kind of sloppy with the pvc glue - I get it all sealed proper. This thing doesn't leak at all.

I made the sump too - it was going to be a refugium on my old tank, but I sold the tank and we moved.

I am thinking of adding a uv right from the start to keep algae down. I have a couple laying around here somewhere...

I appreciate the compliments - the top interior of this thing is just under 4'x5'x2' (lxhxd) so it has taken a ton of time - it is very close to being done. The last few things I have to do are silicone seal the water areas, put the last 2 coats of finish on the outside, some highlight paint, let it all dry, put it in the house, fill it up and plug it in. then a little house-warming party for old Gary. It would be cool to match him up with a mate, but I know, maybe after he is a little more mature.

One more day of work (on and off and 3 days to dry). He should move in on Wednesday or Thursday.

Hey cool I will - none of the pictures to date show the sliding front doors, the filter area cover, or the canopy top. I really bit off more than I could chew with this one, but as of now it is just about all chewed up!

I have been thinking I might ditch the misting system - a MistKing setup brand new in the box - due to the fact I will have no plants - Gary is a rough customer...

Back in town and eager to get this out of the way so I can start building a stand for that 83g.

I filled it up for the final water test and that has gone well...no leaks, however the waterfall is now more of a messy spittin' water mess...tested it and all was well before the final coats of silicone...now it runs all over the place - it looks cool like that but too much splatter and I don't know where it might soak through into the foam. So as a precautionary measure I cut off flow to the top. I don't know what I'm going to do about it.

Got water running through plumbing from the base and that is doing great. Give it a good rinse, drain, clean it out and refill, warm it up and in old Gary goes...

[ATTACH]13468[/ATTACH]

post-9028-141867763983_thumb.jpg

5 hours later - I got it all wired up, doors on, emptied, cleaned and just about ready to go into the house, thought I would share a pic of progress for today - not that it is marine aquarium related at all...

Still need to polish out some scratches and get some substrate in there, and dial in the overflow...and eventually make a panel to cover the sump area...trying to get it out of the way not only so Gary has a new crib, but so I can actually get a reef going...

[ATTACH]13472[/ATTACH]

post-9028-141867763993_thumb.jpg

That is a amazing water dragon tank. Gary is a lucky lizard (clap)

Way back in the day a buddy of mine had a waterfall that would spash way too much. We just put some moss at the bottom and it stopped it from making a mess. I don't know if that would work with you setup but its a idea :)

Hey thanks Derbird - that is a good idea! Man I knew I joined this forum for a reason.

It is getting away from the planned path right out the gate at the top - I bet if I stuffed some moss in there it would direct it down...

I owe you one dude. I have been staring at this thing way too long...

Very impressive Lizard Box.

Your craftsmanship is top notch!!

I am a big fan of anyone who who can use their imagination to create anything that is functional and pleasing to the eye.

The hours you have put into your skilled trade screams out loud in this thread!!

My hat is off to you. GREAT JOB!!

I will be looking forward to your reef build.

BTW I understand what you have accomplished

110_2430.jpg

110_2437.jpg

110_2434.jpg

110_2424.jpg

A graduation present for my daughter