Just to show off a little

Arminius

Nice idea Thomas. I just saw this thing today and it's awesome. Really impressed with the design and how much detail you put into it. If you put that much into a reptile tank your reef tank is gonna be nuts(nutty) Definitely can't wait to see it. Thanks for the reflectors Chris, hope you can make it to the meeting to meet some more people from the club. Everyone is really great and always has great ideas and advice. I'll have to come by and see that enclosure when you've got him all settled in it. (naughty)

Wow Peppie those dovetails are the real deal!!!

I actually think I am going to redo the top - the balance is a little off - like it has a narrow haircut.

And no problem Kori, it was really nice to me you and your lady. I hope the reflectors are indeed what you wanted. They really focus the light.

I will post more pics soon...it has been a long week...

Peppie' date=' I saw that pic before I read the post and I almost screamed!!! I thought someone was going to use that foe a stand and i was like NOOOOO!!! Glad to read it is going to be well loved in a saltwater free home. ;)[/quote']

LOL Gill,

That desk was a labor of love. My daughter worked very hard to earn it. I am confident to say it will never see ANY type of watertank on it.

Dont want to hi-jack OPs thread. But the title is (just to show off a little) LOL

Well it took some doing, but it's in the house. Too many times pieces were left around the shop and some of the plex got scratched, blew out the front right corner when I set it down and leaned it to get the dolly out...but it's done.

I don't care anymore it is what it is - functional and still looks reasonably good. If I had to do this all over again I would have do it way differently, used glass instead of acrylic, made more tests of the waterfall, built the background first and the cabinet around it...the list goes on. Oh well when and if Gary outgrows this thing I will have the fore-knowledge. I had never done a sculpted background in an enclosure before...live and learn.

I'll get it all plumbed back up later and then Gary goes in tomorrow morning once the water warms up. Yeehaw!

[ATTACH]13473[/ATTACH]

post-9028-141867763995_thumb.jpg

thanks garrett - yeah and he'll also be able to swim someplace besides the bathtub for once in his life. He deserves the room - we were moving stuff around when I thought my dad was going to have to come live with me and broke the 60g he was in...He's been in a 22 gallon translucent rubbermaid for like 2 months. I know lame, right? I would have put him in one of the 2 tanks I got 2 weeks ago, but I didn't want him to get sick or something if I didn't clean them out properly.

If he does outgrow this one, the next one is going to be at least 1.5x as long if not 2x - so 6' or 8'...

I'm not worried, and he won't take food - he has been finicky after it started raining and the temp cooled off. He also just went through a molt, plus the new setting so there is no telling whats going on in his little reptile brain - he is also now showcased in the living room where all the dog action is - before he was in my studio where I am pretty still and silent for long periods. He'll come around.

Thanks Derbird. Still haven't worked on the waterfall. I don't really care that much right now - I have so much other crap to do.

Gary is cruising around fine now...thanks to any and all who care at all he won't take any food yet, but he'll be hungry soon enough.

Yeah I am calling this an almost-done-deal, and have already started collecting gear for the reef build - going to jump on the BRS group buy and see I how much more I can flesh out the build with what I have left inthe budget.

Thanks everyone for checking this out - I have gotten a way better response here than on the reptile forums...nearly everyone there was telling me how I was wasting my time.

Gary is cruising around fine now...thanks to any and all who care at all he won't take any food yet, but he'll be hungry soon enough.

Yeah I am calling this an almost-done-deal, and have already started collecting gear for the reef build - going to jump on the BRS group buy and see I how much more I can flesh out the build with what I have left inthe budget.

Thanks everyone for checking this out - I have gotten a way better response here than on the reptile forums...nearly everyone there was telling me how I was wasting my time.

LOL Nearly everyone there has a brain the size of the pets they keep!! They were just jealous as H@&%

Improving your creatures habitat is a wast of time (scratch). If thats the case they would hate me too, I have my little rosy boa in a 33L decked out with two houses and a pool. The books say a 10 gallon is ideal (laugh) (nono) nothing but the best for my animals.

I think most of us here are animal lovers and I know many have more than just fish. Part of the reason I feel at home on here :)

Most of the responses I got were a bunch of "never going to be big enough"; "asking for TBD"; and "nice grow - up enclosure get ready to build a new one in 2 months", that kind of thing.

Gary goes in the bathtub, outside on warm days, gets diverse food and has staring contests with the big dog. When I got him he was in a 10 gallon with 3 others. It's true he was a baby, but what happens to the ones that don't sell?

Anyway, he seems happy - just had some lettuce and a super worm and accidentally fell in for his first swim. Now he's giving the big dog the evil eye from across the room...