Tiny bright green anemone ID.

Islandoftiki

So, these little guys just popped up out of nowhere. I'm sure I've seen them before, but I'm drawing a blank as to exactly what they are.

They're tiny. Maybe 2mm - 4mm across, including the skirt. They're growing in a group. They're bright fluorescent green. They have very tiny tentacles. I'm almost positive they aren't majanos, or if they are, they don't look anything like any of the ones I intentionally keep. I don't think they get much bigger than they are, they just multiply.

Anybody know off to top of your head?

1A6B5AE8-orig.jpg

Yeah, these look like they're on a little stalk. They're a relative size and shape of an aiptasia, but they're a little different. I think it would help if I had a better picture. I'll get out the good camera when I get home. They're cool looking. I don't think they're invasive, but I'm not sure.

My best guess is that these are something that came in as a hitchhiker on a crocea clam that I had for a short while about a year ago. They disappeared, and then I upgraded from the old 2 gallon (the pest tank before it was a pest tank) to the 10 gallon, and they were nowhere to be seen. They've been absent for all that time, and I think these are they. I think at one time figured out what they were, but I forgot all about them since I thought they were gonners. Anyhow, they just showed up again.

Hydrozoans are cnidarians, just like Anthozoans(corals+anemones). However, hydrozoans have both a medusa and a polyp stage, whereas cnidarians only live as polyps. What makes me think that these critters are anemones, would be the fact that they look morphologically similar to other small species of anemones. As for whether or not they are majanos, don't forget that "majano" is a loosely associated term with pest anemones, and there are endless variants.

Fun fact: Portuguese man o' wars are colonial hydrozoans... NOT jellyfish

Fun fact: Portuguese man o' wars are colonial hydrozoans... NOT jellyfish

Ooooh! I would so like to have a Portuguese man o' war so that I could keep a Glaucus atlanticus sea slug! Yeah, yeah. I know. Not going to happen.

I was thinking colonial something or other. I have other hydroids in the tank. In the back shadows, there are a number of hydroids, including digitate and at least one other type. They mostly keep to the shadows and stay out of the main viewing area, so they are welcome to stay. They aren't bothering the cleaner shrimp or my sixline, and they don't come out into the light, so they don't bother the corals, so I see no harm in them.

I did a couple of Google image searches for colonial hydroids and didn't come up with anything like these. I found some minor similarities with some colonial anemones.

I didn't get home early enough to grab any more pictures today (They vanish after the lights turn off). I'll post more detailed pictures when I get a chance.

Yeah, they're something like that. I'll keep an eye on them. If they keep to themselves, I'm happy to leave them. I tend to have a different idea of what constitutes a pest than some people.

My biggest concern right now is going to be knocking back the GSP a little bit. Apparently it doesn't play well with green slimer SPS.

I might try to extract a couple and throw them into the pest tank and see what happens there.