Dosing or Reactor???

JHiestand

If you get nice dosing pumps theyre both effectivr, having manually dosed my first 150 and the beggining of my 75, id have to say its not very effective comparitively to dosing pumps or reactor, now having a calc reactor running i have the stablleist system ive ever run and couldnt imagine doing it without it out now, very little maintenance leadong to more time for enjoyment and less testing

I have manually dosed, upgraded to a reactor and then upgraded to an auto doser. Both the reactor and auto doser are worlds better than manually dosing.

My issues with the reactor were the constant maintenance and refilling of the media. As the media breaks down the reactor gets restricted and the flow changes. It seems like I was always cleaning it out or adjusting the flow. I had to take it offline every 3-5 months to completely clean and replace the media. I was always worried about excess CO2 and constantly monitored my bubble counter and flow. I also had to monitor and clean the feed pump. Average PH was slightly low while running the reactor.

I upgraded to a Profilux doser and am very happy. Once I got it dialed in, it is very little maintenance. I refill the solutions (2-part plus mag) about every four months or so as needed and do bi weekly checks to see if the settings need to be adjusted. So far this setup is easier and less stress for me. PH is very stable and swings between a low of 8.1 to a high of 8.3.

I still have my reactor, but I don't see myself going back anytime in the future.

I have manually dosed, upgraded to a reactor and then upgraded to an auto doser. Both the reactor and auto doser are worlds better than manually dosing.

My issues with the reactor were the constant maintenance and refilling of the media. As the media breaks down the reactor gets restricted and the flow changes. It seems like I was always cleaning it out or adjusting the flow. I had to take it offline every 3-5 months to completely clean and replace the media. I was always worried about excess CO2 and constantly monitored my bubble counter and flow. I also had to monitor and clean the feed pump. Average PH was slightly low while running the reactor.

I upgraded to a Profilux doser and am very happy. Once I got it dialed in, it is very little maintenance. I refill the solutions (2-part plus mag) about every four months or so as needed and do bi weekly checks to see if the settings need to be adjusted. So far this setup is easier and less stress for me. PH is very stable and swings between a low of 8.1 to a high of 8.3.

I still have my reactor, but I don't see myself going back anytime in the future.

unless nate wants to sell his reator to me for a good price (whistle)

Thanks you guys for the great input. I was kinda leaning towards the dosing pumps, I bought a reactor and sold it before I even used it because it looked like a lot to worry about during the initial setup. What are the costs for reactor media and co2 vs the dosing liquids(or powders)? What is a good dosing pump? I don't like to go cheap, I have learned that you will more than likely be replacing cheap stuff later on down the road, like my s**tty coralife skimmer that won't create the vortex in the chamber like it used to and was constantly overflowing.

Look at brs dosing pumps, cheaper then most but still very effective, from what ove heard long term the calc rwactor is much cheaper in long run, depends on size of bottle and size od reactor but my little guy sgpuld be set for 6months plus which is 20$ for mwdia and 17$ for co2 i got enough media to fill my reactor twice for 20$

Thanks you guys for the great input. I was kinda leaning towards the dosing pumps' date=' I bought a reactor and sold it before I even used it because it looked like a lot to worry about during the initial setup. What are the costs for reactor media and co2 vs the dosing liquids(or powders)? What is a good dosing pump? I don't like to go cheap, I have learned that you will more than likely be replacing cheap stuff later on down the road, like my s**tty coralife skimmer that won't create the vortex in the chamber like it used to and was constantly overflowing.[/quote']

I was spending about the same per year on media, maybe slightly more with 2-part. I went through 2 gallons of ARM extra coarse reactor media every 12-14 months. I expect to go through a couple of gallons of the dry 2-part media this year. Next time I will buy in bulk to reduce the cost.

I have heard good things about the Bubble Magnus dosing pumps and I am partial to the Profilux (only because I haven't used the BM). The BRS dosing pumps require timers or controllers, but they are less expensive. Both the Bubble Magnus and Profilux have built in controllers.

http://www.aquacave.com/GHL-ProfiLux-Stand-Alone-Dosing-System-4-Pumps-w-Controller-P2939C835.aspx

http://www.saltysupply.com/product-p/bm1163.htm

interesting i didnt know a controller was nessecary for the brs ones but makes sense, if you have the money go for one of the nice dosers good way to look at it you spend the money now youll have a more stable system and its something you can keep for a long long time

Depends on your corals IMO/E. For my size build and the fact I am more into SPS dosing would be more expensive, granted I already had a controller which I would never do a reactor with out one but again thats my opinion.

I do buy my media in bulk when its on sale too so that helps, just like salt-if your going to use it why not but 10 cases-LOL

Anyway both work and its very opinionated, just like the old threads MH or T5, now its MH, T5, or LED (scratch)

Its personal preference, NEITHER is better than another, again another IMO

GL

I think I am leaning towards dosing still, I really dont want a co2 tank in the house and if something were to happen it seems like the reactor could cause more problems faster. Am I wrong? I also don't want to buy a controller, which I have also heard pretty much needs a controller to be safe, like reefnjunkie said.

I was spending about the same per year on media, maybe slightly more with 2-part. I went through 2 gallons of ARM extra coarse reactor media every 12-14 months. I expect to go through a couple of gallons of the dry 2-part media this year. Next time I will buy in bulk to reduce the cost.

I have heard good things about the Bubble Magnus dosing pumps and I am partial to the Profilux (only because I haven't used the BM). The BRS dosing pumps require timers or controllers, but they are less expensive. Both the Bubble Magnus and Profilux have built in controllers.

http://www.aquacave.com/GHL-ProfiLux-Stand-Alone-Dosing-System-4-Pumps-w-Controller-P2939C835.aspx

http://www.saltysupply.com/product-p/bm1163.htm

Wow not cheap, lol, but what is in this hobby. Is it neccesary to have 4 dosing pumps like the profilux? What needs to be dosed?

CAL, ALK, for sure-not sure why but my mag stays real constant around 1500-1550, and I only do 10% water changes maybe once a month so I just test and add the mag chloride from BRS as need

Top off is gravity fed via an elevated 55 gallon drum and a float in my sump. even before the tank room, I ran a gravity fed, I just had a small hole drilled in the wall that fed the tubing.

Nothing in this hobby is cheap, if done correctly-IMO, but then again one needs to define "cheap"

CAL, ALK, for sure-not sure why but my mag stays real constant around 1500-1550, and I only do 10% water changes maybe once a month so I just test and add the mag chloride from BRS as need

Top off is gravity fed via an elevated 55 gallon drum and a float in my sump. even before the tank room, I ran a gravity fed, I just had a small hole drilled in the wall that fed the tubing.

Nothing in this hobby is cheap, if done correctly-IMO, but then again one needs to define "cheap"

I dont dose Mag either. Just on a as needed basis.

^ you really only need the two pumps. I have the four pump model but one isn't being used. I do dose magnesium but at a very low rate, and only because I have the extra pumps to do so.

I also have a separate top off system. I personally wouldn't use a dosing pump for top off, but I suppose you could.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use a Ca Rx but have recently switched to Aqua House dosers for the new tank. These are sold by CoralVue and have a built in controller for each unit and you can link up to 3 units with one power cord. I hated having to tinker with the reactor on a constant basis to keep my parameters in check and so far, the dosers are working well.

When I decided to go with a dosing pump I got the eBay Chinese one "marine magic". That way i wouldnt feel too bad about the money if i went a differnt direction. It's been great except when I let the solution run out.DOH! anyway, I'm hooked on dosing pumps and I was going to throw down for the profilux but now I'm thinking the heavy duty BRS ones are the way to go for the long term.

calcium reactor. set it up' date=' maintenance once a month to make sure its all good. don't have to dose anything. rinse media once every 6-8 months, media and co2 once a year. drip it into a high flow area or off gas area, no controller needed.[/quote']

Agreed! Also, CA Reactors are dissolving CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) which is ionically balanced.

Dosing Calcium and ALK via a dosing pump is made up of calcium chloride + water and sodium carbonate/sodium bicarbonate + water. In this case you'll have calcium being consumed and chloride ion free in the water, and carbonate/bicarbonate consumed and sodium free in the water. You will need to change water frequently to remove the over abundace/remaining chloride and sodium left over from dosing. If not, you run a great risk of throwing off your water chemistry parameters which can lead to a system crash. I believe this accounts for the "unknown crashes" we hear of.

• Like 1