What's the deal with the zoa names???

JHiestand

So I have been looking at zoas alot online because I have a 30 breeder pretty much full of them, and it seems that there are about a gazillion differnet names for them. I even see alot that look almost identical that are being called different names by differnet people. Is there a book or site that you can id these with or can I just call them whatever I want when I go to sell them? lol. Thanks for any input.

Welcome to the world of coral marketing. Its gotten really bad in the last few years, many of the same zoanthids and even other corals have the same name, or they might morph a little in someones tank and they give them a new name. Its all in the name of marketing to sell more of them. I would take the suggestion of coralpedia or forums and post up the picks you have. There are a lot of them out there that dont have names too

if you think $30-$45 is a lot' date=' look into how much red hornet zoas were when they first came out. And they aren't even that cool looking.[/quote']

imo same could be said about most PE's as well overpriced, when you look at the new zoas stevehash just got for so much cheaper so much nicer

if you think $30-$45 is a lot' date=' look into how much red hornet zoas were when they first came out. And they aren't even that cool looking.[/quote']

I think we paid 150 for a polyp of the red hornet that we grew out and I know is partly why there are so many locally in our market.

I dont own a zoa that does not have a special designer name and s much there are a lot of similar zoas there are definitely ones you dont find at you LFS

google these

Jason Fox Bloodshot

Rastas

Utter Chaos

Nightmares

and thats a small taste-with the nightmares being the cheapest at 20.00 per polyp, Bloodshot and UC, try 40-50.

If you think you have a nice zoa worthy of naming it submit it to Coralpedia and become famous.

If you really want to be blown away, check out planetzoa.com

Welcome to the madness

I think we paid 150 for a polyp of the red hornet that we grew out and I know is partly why there are so many locally in our market.

I dont own a zoa that does not have a special designer name and s much there are a lot of similar zoas there are definitely ones you dont find at you LFS

google these

Jason Fox Bloodshot

Rastas

Utter Chaos

Nightmares

and thats a small taste-with the nightmares being the cheapest at 20.00 per polyp, Bloodshot and UC, try 40-50.

If you think you have a nice zoa worthy of naming it submit it to Coralpedia and become famous.

If you really want to be blown away, check out planetzoa.com

Welcome to the madness

Or maybe even the beloved Soprano.................(whistle)

So I have been looking at zoas alot online because I have a 30 breeder pretty much full of them' date=' and it seems that there are about a gazillion differnet names for them. I even see alot that look almost identical that are being called different names by differnet people. Is there a book or site that you can id these with or can I just call them whatever I want when I go to sell them? lol. Thanks for any input.[/quote']

IMO unless you have lineage you should make up a name or call them a "look alike". IE. if you have have a blue polyp with brown lashes you could say they "look like" Blue Tubbs. Personally if I found out that someone sold me something as a red hornet and then I come to find out it is in fact not, I am going to be upset regardless of the price I paid. It really just isn't honest to call them by a name you did not purchase them under; unless of course you make up a name like "blue gems" or whatever. Just make sure said name is not already taken.

IMO unless you have lineage you should make up a name or call them a "look alike". IE. if you have have a blue polyp with brown lashes you could say they "look like" Blue Tubbs. Personally if I found out that someone sold me something as a red hornet and then I come to find out it is in fact not' date=' I am going to be upset regardless of the price I paid. It really just isn't honest to call them by a name you did not purchase them under; unless of course you make up a name like "blue gems" or whatever. Just make sure said name is not already taken.[/quote']

Totally agree Gill, I never knew what 'SM' stood for when buying some high end zoas ( so I thought I was getting Black Hornets) only to find out it stands for ' similar morph'

so there is the 'out' its not a real Red Hornet but a Red Hornet SM

grrrrrrrr

As said before the names are mostly for marketing. It helps them sell to have a good name and where it came from. My self I just buy what I like and don't really worrie about if it has a cool name or not. If you really want to see some scary high end zoa's check out sexy corals page. Some are $180+ per polyp. I really wish I could remember where I saw it but there was one for $800 per polyp (scary)

That being said this seems like a good time to show off my collection :)

Eagle Eyes

Pink Zipper

Armegedons

Pink Dijon's

Candy Apple Red

Red Hornets

Posideons Armor

TECO Forbidden Fruit Paly

TECO Fire and Ice

Mary Janes

Mohawks

Blue eyed Girls

Yoda's

Mind blowing paly's

Mint Chocolate Paly's

Mango's

Tubb Blues

Nuclear Winter Paly

X-Men Animals

And I probably have as many again that have no names. You might not be able to guess I like zoa's and paly's (laugh)

tryingto build up a collection myself, big fan of them not as much as lps but lps tends to be more pricey for nice stuff guess you can say im cheap

blue tubbs

pink flamingos

mary janes

fruit loops

blue angels or some shizz

now including steve hashs collection we got alot of morphs in the house, hes got like 6-7 too pretty sure we only got 1 thats the same once he upgrades too even more ha

Totally agree Gill, I never knew what 'SM' stood for when buying some high end zoas ( so I thought I was getting Black Hornets) only to find out it stands for ' similar morph'

so there is the 'out' its not a real Red Hornet but a Red Hornet SM

grrrrrrrr

WOW!!! I hadn't heard of "SM" that is not cool at all. It is so hard to tell from pics sometimes so its nice to be able to google a name and know what your looking at. I really feel like if you don't know what you have then you probably dont have anything. I can buy a $40 rock of sweet wild zoas with at least a hundred heads. It's the really special stuff that is worth selling PP.

I'm not talking about you OP because it sounds like you got some nice stuff from your friend, my advice to you is to ask him/her what they sold you. Sorry for my rant I just see so many people try to give names to this that really don't belong in anyone's collection.

I remember him saying atleast fire and ice, ked reds??, oregon ducks, there are some cool looking orange ones.... lets see if i have anything on photobucket. Not real clear and this was right after the transfer. I will get nice pictures once I put them on plugs.

A68C71EE-A032-447F-B4FD-98EF5875B037-3485-000005AB4CE2D0D9.jpg

0D8F3273-1C30-4F5B-9B76-5312E1209C86-3485-000005AB3FCAE03B.jpg

3E6A4065-7B86-4641-B403-2A5E0A44F3E0-3485-000005AB388BDA73.jpg

This was the pictures from the tank I got them from

447B967F-9EDD-4245-89BE-ACF073161B5D-1372-0000016E7D476190.jpg

0F74465C-E0EC-4797-9F89-3D8CF9071CF4-1372-0000016E87366843.jpg