Phosphate.

BrianB

So I have never had phosphate issues, however after adding some dry base rock I now have hair algae and phosphate issues. So I want to try some GFO in my reactor. I'm sure the rock is the source. Anyone ever have sillier experience? And if so what's an estimate of how long rock can leech phosphate into your tank?

Oh I'm sorry for some what jacking the thread. Kinda had some big problems this week with my tank

HTC EVO

Don't be too worried about it, we are a pretty relaxed group on here :)

After "Cooking" the rock you would want to cycle it and seed it with a piece of live rock.

+1 with kriz2fer

The reason I ask is because my wife last week threw bombs off in my house (Monday) And Tuesday of last week went and used some flea any killer for our trim. She didn't know about covering my tank and shutting off my air pump. So I had my RBTA die Thursday clown die 5 hours later. And pep shrimp die the next morning. I test water everything was good, did water changes every day, and things just started getting worse. So instead of losing all my coral I took them out and gave them to a buddy. So I'm wondering if the rock is bad now? Don't really want to by 30 lbs of all new rock. And want to.put new sand in my tank, cause if I move the rock, I'm pretty sure it'll cause my tank to cycle again

HTC EVO

I don't keep any sps so if you do what I'm about to say may not apply to you. Anyways what I was going to say is that I have crazy high phosphates and no hair algae. Now I'm not saying phosphates are good but if your concern is due to the hair algae you may just want to get a sea hare. I see a lot of nuisance algae problems get blamed on water quality and yet I have none and terrible water by most standards. The trick IMHO is to never introduce the algae in the first place and then to back that up by enlisting a large and varied group of herbivores.

Phosphates can come from anywhere. At one point, the dry base rock was once live rock under the water. Now it is probably been lifted out of the ocean and part of some hill or mountain somewhere... Either way, there used to be life associated with the rock. Once the life died off, the organic component still remained, and can be a source of phosphate.

"Cooking" with muriatic acid is not a good solution. It does nothing for the phosphate, and it does dissolve the carbonate in the rock. But if you do want to try it, you can get muriatic acid at a place like Home Depot. I saw it in the garden area, but ask one of the workers to help you find it. It came in a box of two bottles, each a gallon (looks like the two gallons of milk that you can get in a box at Costco). BE CAREFUL with muriatic acid. It is nasty, can cause severe burns, will make you blind if it gets in your eyes, and if you breathe in the vapor will cause respiratory problems (burns your lungs). It will also "acid wash" your clothing. That style went out in the 80's...

Bleach would kill off any life, but would not affect the phosphates that are soaked into a rock (probably in the form of inorganic calcium phosphate). Overall, I think it would be a bad idea to bleach a rock to remove phosphate.

Soaking in fresh water and changing the water frequently would be the best way to remove phosphates from a rock. "The solution to pollution is dilution." Dosing with sugar/vinegar/vodka/bio-pellets would be a second way to do it (make sure to use a good skimmer to remove the organic from the water). Using GFO (but not a massive dose, just use a small/normal amount and change it frequently... every couple of days) would also be a good way to go about removing the phosphates.

dsoz