Looking for square 5G bucket w/lid

siskiou

Is there anything beyond having a bucket of sand that has low flow for the remote deep sand bucket idea? It seems too easy. What else is the secret? Is anyone coming to the portland meeting that can share one of those square buckets?

dsoz :)

Remote DSB used to be all the rage. They've since been left to the wayside IMO, studies have consistantly shown that a DSB has a finite life to it. They have also shown that denitrification occurs just as much within the LR we house in our tanks as it does in a DSB, without the negative crashing that often occurs after years of use. Also tanks with DSB or remote DSB, while having a great initial effect on the tank, tend to have many problems with phosphates.

Here is one study.

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/p_auger_081599.html

Exerpt:

However, the nutrient data for the sand bed shows a slightly different value. In these graphs one can see the low nitrate, nitrite and hydrogen sulfide values. All of which are good news. However, the high phosphate values are worrisome. This data shows one particular anomaly, higher than normal levels of phosphate. One would typically expect to see some phosphate within the sediment area, but concentrations as high as those found within the bed are peculiar.

That's why it's great in a bucket!

Once you notice a rising phosphate problem (which can take a long time, depending on the bioload/size of your tank), you just dump most of the old sand, get some new and put it back in line.

It's not a hassle at all, not like a crashing DSB in your main tank or refugium can be.

Then you can just have a nice shallow sand bed in your main tank and not worry about disturbing anything there.

I'm going to give it a try, because I can't get below 25 with my nitrates (probably because the Anthias need feeding several times a day).

I'll probably use some cheap silica sand, though aragonite would be better.

I have one bag of southdown, but will use most of that for topping off my sandbed in the main tank, which is a little too shallow in some areas.