Derbirds 29 Gallon BioCube

Derbird

A while back I got a screaming deal on a Oceanic 29 Gallon BioCube. I had planed this as a project of the fall but the pieces have started to come together so I figured I may as well get this baby wet!

I got a nice stand for it from Kknight. Looks like a piece of furniture (I think it actually is LOL). All I did was screw in a few paint stir sticks to add a little rigidity to it and it works like a charm :)

Today I picked up some live rock for Noobtosalt. Anyone who was thinking about getting his rock really did miss out. He sold some nice pieces at a ridiculously low price. Works out perfectly for the cube.

100_0213.jpg

100_0212.jpg

100_0208.jpg

100_0210.jpg

I know I will be tweeking the rock work a bit but I like how the rock fell in to place. I keep going back and fourth on what livestock I'm going to be keeping in here. I think some nice goby's and inverts will be the road I end up taking but at this point I will not rule anything out :)

Oh and by the way these pictures were taken twenty minutes after filling the tank. Lesson today kids is always rinse your sand (laugh)

I'll try to keep this thread updated with the progress. This is a second tank so it may be a slow progress but that's alright.

Wow. Looks like you will have some more rock for your 120 as well. Can't wait to see what you do with this one

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yea I think I just might have too much rock in the 29. Its all right, the 120 seems to always need more rock DOH!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I added a new Tunze 6015 power head to the tank! Its a good little pump that doesn't take over the whole tank, which I was worried about. I would recomend this power head to anyone with a 29 gallon cube. I think it would be a bit large in anything smaller though.

100_0236.jpg

100_0234.jpg

Its giving me great surface aggitation

100_0233.jpg

Unfourtunatly my lovely assistant was less then impressed that this is how I spent the afternood

100_0232.jpg

I'm starting to get a lot of algea growing on the glass and rock. The macro in the tank is also really taking off. The rock did come with a few hermits and snails but they are no longer able to keep up. It's almost time to add more CUC and get a few smaller pieces of rock. A few of these nice large pieces are going to end up in the big tank.

• 4 weeks later...
Today I added a new Tunze 6015 power head to the tank! Its a good little pump that doesn't take over the whole tank, which I was worried about. I would recomend this power head to anyone with a 29 gallon cube. I think it would be a bit large in anything smaller though.

100_0236.jpg

100_0234.jpg

Its giving me great surface aggitation

100_0233.jpg

Unfourtunatly my lovely assistant was less then impressed that this is how I spent the afternood

100_0232.jpg

I'm starting to get a lot of algea growing on the glass and rock. The macro in the tank is also really taking off. The rock did come with a few hermits and snails but they are no longer able to keep up. It's almost time to add more CUC and get a few smaller pieces of rock. A few of these nice large pieces are going to end up in the big tank.

Cute dog,

How's the build going my dude.

Cute dog,

How's the build going my dude.

Thank you, she is a great dog :)

The tank has offically cycled (dancing).

I took out some of the rock and put it in my big tank. I also got a few smaller pieces from CoralCrazy to replace some of the giant ones.

I am waiting on some funds to upgrade the filtration system before I add any live stock except for the ones that came with the rock. I want to get some of those In Tank baskets for the back chambers to boost the filtration. They seem pretty expencive for what they are but I think they will do the job nicely :)

I'll snap some pics tonight.

Thank you, she is a great dog :)

The tank has offically cycled (dancing).

I took out some of the rock and put it in my big tank. I also got a few smaller pieces from CoralCrazy to replace some of the giant ones.

I am waiting on some funds to upgrade the filtration system before I add any live stock except for the ones that came with the rock. I want to get some of those In Tank baskets for the back chambers to boost the filtration. They seem pretty expencive for what they are but I think they will do the job nicely :)

I'll snap some pics tonight.

I personally love the inTanks media basket I have. Kind of have to change the cotton often but if you don't mind that I don't have any problems with it

I personally love the inTanks media basket I have. Kind of have to change the cotton often but if you don't mind that I don't have any problems with it

Ah that's good to hear. The manufacture of course says they work well, and they look like they will. But it is always better to hear it from some one who is actually using them. I don't mind changing the floss more often, I'll be sure to order extra.

Ah that's good to hear. The manufacture of course says they work well' date=' and they look like they will. But it is always better to hear it from some one who is actually using them. I don't mind changing the floss more often, I'll be sure to order extra.[/quote']

It also makes the tank ALOT less loud. And I'm surprised how much algae, gunk, etc that thing pulls out

Ah that's good to hear. The manufacture of course says they work well' date=' and they look like they will. But it is always better to hear it from some one who is actually using them. I don't mind changing the floss more often, I'll be sure to order extra.[/quote']

It also makes the tank ALOT less loud. And I'm surprised how much algae, gunk, etc that thing pulls out

• 4 weeks later...

Look what came in the mail today (clap)

100_0358.jpg

Soon this tank will hold more than water and rock (dancing)

One thing I have decided on is I would like to have a shrimp / goby pair in the tank. Does anyone have suggestions on what would be the best pair? I can't spend $ 200 on them but I would like some active interesting critters.

Tiger Pistol shrimp are the most active but that can be a double edged sword IE most viewable/most destructive. High fin banded gobys actually swim above the burrow' date=' very cool. :) I would say candy cane high fin banded pair would be best. :)[/quote']

Good call :) The Highfin looks like a good choice, thank you. Now the hard part, once I decide on a particular spiecies I can never find it at a LFS DOH!

Well the tank looks very empty now. With the filtration in place I removed the calurpa from the cube. Found it a good home in the 125's sump. I don't want to use calurpa in the baskets, it spreads too fast and I can see it taking over the back chambers LOL. I'll have to track down some Chaeto.

Pictures from today

BioCube11-8-12.jpg

BioCubeBack11-8-12.jpg

The rock came with some nice suprizes, some beautiful red shrooms, couple baby devils hand leathers, and some clean up crew. Unfortunatly it also has some baby aiptasia on it. I hope to get some peppermint shrimp soon to take care of them before they become an issue. After they eat the aiptasia they are welcome to stay in the tank, they are kinda cool :)

For the media rack I put in some Chem pure eleite and Purigen. How often should I change these out? The instructions just say when spent (scratch)

How do you like the inserts? I was thinking about building my own but those seem super easy!!

Oh and yay to more biocube friends:)

I love them! When I first saw them I thought they were a simple thing and over priced. While I still think they are a bit expencive they are worth it :) They are very well made and fit perfectly, after cutting out the tab that is. Plus the cube is much quieter which is nice since this tank is next to my bed.