What would be best

Blackhand

So I just got a 75 gal tank and planning on putting a 29 gal at the most sump and possible another 29gal at the most refugium so im wondering what skimmer would work best im wanting to have a good amount of fish and have corals maybe a few sps but mainly brains, lps, clams maybe an anemone that sort of corals. The skimmer i had on my previous tank is too tall so im going to have to sell that eventually but have a hangover the back right now on it for the cycle but its not enough for when im ready to add livestock. So what is a good reliable and quite skimmer that wont break the bank or better yet one that my wife will let me buy haha ok thanks

I have an eshopps s120 cone skimmer and I love it, I also had a reed octopus and it worked well but for my new tank it wasn't big enough. I think for the value the eshopps are awesome, if you want to throw some more money at it, the reef octopus are great skimmers. If your planning to have corals, double your "rated gph" on the skimmer.

SWC rock-I quite looking for better skimmers after I got an SWC, sadly I went through 4 skimmers before I bought my first SWC., them or Reef Octopus-same design and those bubble blaster pumps are incredible, but so is my Askoll

Luke is a great guy;

http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Now if you want to know which skimmers to avoid.....LOL

awesome great advice a lot to think about so it sounds like im debating between eshopps and swc now to save some money if anyone though might have a used one i would love to buy it from you but like i said i dont have money right now but soon will first im buying mh this next payday and then looking for skimmer and sump thanks everyone

• 2 weeks later...

Okay if your still looking for a skimmer and want solid machine the only real options you have are the sro line or the swc cone. Eshopps is okay but more of a budget skimmer vs the other brands. The sro skimmers are hands down the best skimmer under 500 bucks and second choice would be the swc. I like sicce pumps but the bubble blasted is know to be better...(a direct copy of the red dragon) If you spend more then 500 bucks then the margin of performance starts to get smaller, then you throw down another 500 for a bubble king but it's not 500 bucks better then say the sro or swc.

The best bet is to buy a used P. O. S. skimmer for cheap and spend your real money on the pump. Don't worry about what brand the skimmer is, worry about the PERFORMANCE of the pump. Bubble Blasters are good, but have been known to be unreliable. Same with the Sicce. Try an Eheim or a Mag Drive pump with a needlewheel. You can't beat the performance IMHO. And the replacement parts if you ever need them are readily available and less expensive.

The best bet is to buy a used P. O. S. skimmer for cheap and spend your real money on the pump. Don't worry about what brand the skimmer is' date=' worry about the PERFORMANCE of the pump. Bubble Blasters are good, but have been known to be unreliable. Same with the Sicce. Try an Eheim or a Mag Drive pump with a needlewheel. You can't beat the performance IMHO. And the replacement parts if you ever need them are readily available and less expensive.[/quote']

I think the issues your referring to were with the first gen of bubble blasters. They have seemed to fix the impeller issues and if you look at the studies they did with it he bubble blaster was performing on par with the red dragon. I agree with you about Pump though, it is the heart and most Curial part of the skimmer. The thing he needs to consider is matching he skimmer neck size to the rated pump. ehiem with a needle wheels can be pretty expensive, I guess mag drive would be better choice if money was an issue.