Wtb red doughnut coral or red Brain coral

PowderBlue

I would try and be more specific about what type of red brain you are looking for. There are dozens of brain coral species that come in red colors from Wellsys and Trachtys, to War Corals, Favias, Lobos, Cyanarinas, etc. I will say that red colors definitely tend to fetch a higher price. We do have some nice red favia and war coral frags in that price range but I haven't seen any of the larger pieces or open brains going for that. A red donut(Acanthophylia, Scolymia, or Cyanarina) is going to fetch $90+ in general, most being closer to the $125+ range.

I like the war and favia' date=' the doughnuts seem to be much more than I expected! I just need some red in my tank haha! Thank you for the info Garrett! I wish your shop was closer you seem like a stand up, nice guy! I might have to make a day out of coming to see your place.[/quote']

Garrett is that and more. Much more knowledgeable than the average LFS, knows his stuff. Can't go wrong with his advice

I know someone with a good scoly for $100, solid red. He has a couple higher end ones too, the green and red striped and the rainbow striped morphs. Those were stinkin expensive when he bought them and are receding badly as the fish (kole tang and Cirrhilabrus wrasse) steal all their food. He wants $100 for either of them as well. I was feeding them manually in isolation for a while and they came back for a while, but then the fish learned to rip the corals open and get the food that way so I stopped while he still had some alive.

PS do what I do.... wait a year or two. prices in this hobby fluctuate madly based on trends, and personally I can wait to spend on something I know was $30 a few years ago. It will never be that cheap again but I doubt it will hit $200 again either, could be wrong as PPE never got cheap, but most everything else I have seen has come back down if it can be cultured. I don't think people are culturing these yet is the problem. They don't like being cut.