Question on the comp

Hatcher2014

1. If I buy a nano that's a 2 gall and I put enough sand and rock in it to we're it only takes 1gal is that fair.

2. If the tank I get has a built in filter do I have to account the $120 budget for buying new media or is that separate.

3. My next question is I kind of agree with derbies on his post about not putting a fish in there due to no swimming space but what about one of those really small yellow gobies not sure of there names or does anyone have a suggestion on what a small fish I could have in there.

4. Also are we only allowed to use the $120 budget for stocking with coral.

Thanks for reading I would love to join the competition but don't get paid until the first so guess I'm out of luck on top of I'm in the process of getting my 260 setup I bring it in the house tomorrow and start setting it up and filling it with water I'm getting so anxious/excited (rock2)

Hello,

I think your talking about the Yellow Clown Goby (Gobiodon okinawae) I did have to google for the scientific name, don't be too impressed (laugh). It might work and if you can give it a good enviroment more power to you. My statement was just my feelings about what I'm going to do. Everyone should do what they think is best. I would not want to limit your creativity. Although I must admit if I saw a fish in a tiny tank in distress I would most likely say something and post a "Tang Police" picture, I do like those

For the media, I don't think we are including that in our budget as we will need to be replacing it constantly. If we are to include it oops.

As far as the tank goes the rules say 1 gallon water volume. Beyond that I thing the group as a whole would have to make the judgement. I was unable to find anything in that size range that was a all in one or anything I liked really. I got a vase from freddy's and a filter. Others went to good will and spent $2 -$3 on it. So get creative :)

The budget and time line are just to keep everyone on the same page and on equal footing. Again it would have to come from the group as a whole but I would not have a problem if started you cycle a few days late.

Just in case that pretty yellow tang is on the list

Tangpolice1.jpg(nono)(laugh)

Panda gobies are also very small and would probabally work out in a small tank, they are harder to come by though. As far as I understand the rules it is that the water volume has to be less then a gallon not just the tank so if you can fill it from a one gallon jug of salt water you are within the limits. The 120 limit i believe is 20 for the tank and 100 for eq and livestock I am pretty sure that any filter media would be considered to be part of the eq and so a years supply would or should be taken into acount but for sure a small tank I dont think that would eat up much of your budget =)

there are several gobies that have a max size of under two inches, so I think those are viable options.

I'm figuring that when we talk about a 100g system volume, we are counting the rock and sand (and filters and reactors and sumps) volume. so I'm counting all the space that is part of my tank. the vase holds 0.5g to the rim (measured), I'll measure the filter when it arrives, but I'm expecting 0.25g or less, that's all the stuff for my tank. technically, the sand and rock and heater, etc subtract from the actual water volume, but we never count that with our 55g reef, so why should we now? JMO.

as for media/filter floss/etc, I guess I feel like that's just maintenance...if we count that cost, we should have to count the cost of salt...electricity...maybe we should factor in the fact that the house's furnace is aiding the tank's heater and factor in the cubic footage of the tank as a percent of our heater bill? I joke, obviously, but what if someone's not planning on using GAC or GFO and then realizes they need to to keep the tank happy, but don't have room in the $120...do they have to choose between suffering critters and getting booted out of the comp? I think maintenance is maintenace (I'm not trying to be mean Jeramy, I hope you don't take it that way). Also, we edited the $120 to be $120 for everything equipment and tank, no separation. gives a little more freedom.

Lastly, sessile inverts (corals, neme's, tunicates, whatever) are immune for the price limit, as are rock and sand. I think salt (and other maintenance things, as mentioned) fits that category too. the price limit is for the vessel and all equipment, and for motile inhabitants (fish, shrimp, crabs, snails, etc).

Anyone else have an opinion here?