Brown coralline algae?

Kasasah

So, since I've gotten my Radiums I get a lot of what seems to be a brown coralline algae. It's really hard to get off. I use a credit card to scrape it because my tank is acrylic. Is there such thing as brown coraline? or is it something else. It's really really making me lose interest in my tank lol. Mag float doesn't do anything. Anything that will eat it?

Are you talking about the algae on the viewing surfaces, I have had Coraline turn green on the back of my tank before and the turn back to pink. On the front and sides along with the green fuzz I have always had the little hard brown spots, the longer you wait the more they multiply and I do have to use a scraper to get it off, always had it.

Are you talking about the algae on the viewing surfaces' date=' I have had Coraline turn green on the back of my tank before and the turn back to pink. On the front and sides along with the green fuzz I have always had the little hard brown spots, the longer you wait the more they multiply and I do have to use a scraper to get it off, always had it.[/quote']

What do you use to scrape it?

The Kent scrapers with the red plastic insert ore OK, just go easy on acrylic. I have a insert for it out of a material from Envision Acrylics that he used to give away when he had them, it fits into the handle of the Kent scraper

I have some brownish green stuff in my tank but it is quickley being over grown by pink stuff =) I just keep my front and side acryllic scaped clean for viewing and let the stuff on the back sort itself out. It is kind of cool watching as all the diffrent types battle it out for supremecy on the back of my tank =)

Do snails eat tracks into it? Guessing if they eat it then it's not coraline, but urchins and starfish eat coraline so who knows. I have tough brown algae on my tank too, kent scraper gets it but scratches the acrylic if its blade is not in perfect shape and clean. When the brown stuff comes off the scraper the fish eat it like it's candy, and the flame angels leave kiss marks on the glass trying to get it. Even the carnivorous fishes love it.

If what you have sounds similar to mine-brown, kind of gelatinous texture to the touch, scrapes off in sheets, hard to remove and slightly streaky appearance where powerheads hit the glass, I've found Margarita snails from World of Wet Pets eat it well. Wish I knew what species they were... Got some "margaritas" from another source that have a totally different shell and flesh color, and well. They mostly just lay there and die. Downside to snails is my wrasses consider them great treats. I am guessing the other source margaritas are the ones that are coldwater and the WOWP snails are either from Florida or somewhere south. Nerites are also good but they leave eggs all over the glass that are even more annoying to remove than the algae. Big snails sometimes work but they knock over the coral and can't get the glass if any rock or coral is in the way, and are not agile enough to clean frag plugs and racks.

Kate