Question about drilling

T----

Hey guys ive been pretty bad about writing in here, had some work overseas, and finally back, anyway. I have a pretty nice 90g Acrylic Hex. I built a sump that will sit next to the tank in a bench. The tank is un-drilled and thus brings up my question.

For overflow and return do i need to drill holes in the bottom of the tank? I always seem to see people talk about drilling in the bottom. Yet logically it seems like drilling holes closer to the top would make more sense. The back of the Tank is Black Acrylic so there wouldnt be an issue of seeing tubes ect. It just seems all around more simple to drill a hole a few inches below the water line for a drain, then use a (dy-somthing or other the pvc thing that sucks the water down.) Or is there a reason one needs to drill holes in the bottom?

Thanks in advance, also lookin for rock if anyone reads this.

Tim

you need an overflow box of some sort and then yes drill it near the top by where you want the water line. just a couple inches below where yo want the water level. then build yourself an external durso standpipe setup to drain into your sump. there is a thread in the new to hobby furm that is about drilling and plumbing and in it somewhere is a link to a durso how to website. pretty easy to do.

Is there an overflow in this tank?

If there is an overflow, I prefer to drill at the bottom of the overflow for the drain.

If there is no oveflow, then drill at the bottom and use a standpipe or drill near the top.

For the returns, I prefer to drill near the top on the back panel.

HTH,

James

There are 0 holes in the tank at this point. Thats why i was curious as to what the best way to drill would be. Since it is a taller tank i would rather not have a 3 ft piece of PVC comming up through the bottom. I was also thinking that by having the drain and flow in the rear of the tank it would be much simpler to add some ball valves. My real concern was if there were any BAD things that could happen drilling in the side and not the bottom, or what advantage to drilling on the bottom there is. Thanks again

Tim

usualy if you drill the bottom theres less nois the water falls strait down then to the sump, if you drill the side you are more apt to create a cyphon and cause a gurgling affect. if your handy at DIY projects then id say do a overflow eather internal or external and go from there, eather way im with Acrylics on drilling the bottom befor the sides.

Well since my sump is going to be on more on the side rather then right below the back would be simpler. Plus with the back of the tank being black acrylic i wouldn't be seeing things behind it. Now i would personally rather use some of the flex tubing, rather then strait plumbing, i've worked with PVC pipes bufore but for what im doing i was thinking having a 2 foot piece of PVC down then like a 45 degre coupling to some of the hot tub type tubing. Does anyone know where you can get it online where i can get it in the relative length i need? or some sites that have good reef plumbing materials?

Thanks again

Tim

Find a pump store like Pearson's or something, or a store that sells pond suppliesor Home depot. They carry "spa flex" which is flexible PVC. I have been told that it will lessen the noise from vibration as well...unlike the rigid PVC. The nice thing is that the Inside and Outside diameters match the ridig stuff. One day, I will re-do with that!

I like the fact that I drilled on the top. It gave me a little piece of mind should something fail.

Kris

home depot or lowes has the spa flex inthier plumbing sections. just be warned its not cheap stuff. I think it was like $2.00 a foot for the braided reinforced stuff and like 1.25 a foot for the clear vinyl stuff so i went with the clear. either will work tho. drill the bottom and use some black acrylic to build overflow walls and cut some teeth in it for surface skimming. you still want the durso though to keep a higher water level inside the overflow area or else you will get a constant waterfall splashing sound that is rather annoying. hth.

savco.com Reef friendly plumbing site. Not as much as home depot from what I remember. If you buy all the fittings you need, it could be cheaper overall even with the shipping.

I think that drilling the bottom is done because it:can be quieted(durso), the overflow linear flow acts as a good preskimmer, and it can blend in with the back of the tank.

These are the reasons I braved drilling a glass bottom tank.