Starboard local?

reefgeek84

Does anyone local carry starboard? I want to add this to my glass tank on the bottom under the sand, just in case a rock falls or something...so I have a little more added protection to prevent the tank from cracking.

I found some online that will match sand color very well, but for the order they charge 15 bucks for the small order fee...so maybe it would be cheaper local.

FWIW guys, Starboard & Seaboard are not *just* HDPE. They are UV stabilized HDPE, so it resists degradation due to UV radiation. It is designed and generally sold for the boating industry where it's exposed to UV on a daily basis. Because of this, they are superior products for the purpose intended and would explain a shop trying to "sell it up". If you call asking for Starboard or Seaboard, the shop is going to assume you are using for a boat, a purpose for which standard HDPE is ill-suited.

James

FWIW guys, Starboard & Seaboard are not *just* HDPE. They are UV stabilized HDPE, so it resists degradation due to UV radiation. It is designed and generally sold for the boating industry where it's exposed to UV on a daily basis. Because of this, they are superior products for the purpose intended and would explain a shop trying to "sell it up". If you call asking for Starboard or Seaboard, the shop is going to assume you are using for a boat, a purpose for which standard HDPE is ill-suited.

James

this is very good to know...Do you know anyone who sells it locally?

I'm sure West Marine does but you'll pay for it :)

I buy mine from local distributors such as Port Plastics, Laird Plastics, etc. I don't think many actually stock it as there's not much call (here) but it is commonly stocked in the Seattle branches so when I need it, I have the distributors transfer it down for me. I usually get the Seaboard, is cheaper and there's no need to get thicker than 1/4" IMO.

James

I'm sure West Marine does but you'll pay for it :)

I buy mine from local distributors such as Port Plastics, Laird Plastics, etc. I don't think many actually stock it as there's not much call (here) but it is commonly stocked in the Seattle branches so when I need it, I have the distributors transfer it down for me. I usually get the Seaboard, is cheaper and there's no need to get thicker than 1/4" IMO.

James

interesting....I do not suppose you are putting an order in anytime soon?

Andy,

No, I'm not saying that in any way. I am saying that standard HDPE is ill-suited for boat decking (the purpose for which Starboard & Seaboard were designed), it degrades under constant UV radiation. I'm not sure how long sumberged HDPE takes to degrade nor how much UVB is actually getting to it, so I can't honestly make that assessment. Just trying to explain why a shop may suggest or "sell up" Starboard & Seaboard. There are distinct differences between plain HDPE and the Starbard/Seaboard, whether the differences are important for our purposes is subject to debate/opinion.

Of course getting "sandshade" colored HDPE is not easy unless you get the one of the 2 mentioned brands above :)

James

Reefgeek,

I rarely use it as acrylic has plenty of impact resistance so don't worry about it for that purpose. The only times I have used it is when a customer wants a sandshade colored barebottom tank, then I'll order it. Getting acrylic custom made for this purpose is prohibitively expensive.

James