Raising a baffle

Derbird

I need help with a sump baffle.

The problem, I have a separate refugium and sump. It is great except that the return on the refugium from time to time goes full siphon. When it does this it raises the water level in my sump about a half inch. Normally not a big deal. I have recently upgraded my protein skimmer and it is sensitive. The extra little bit in water height means it floods the collection cup :(.

The solution, I think. Raise the height of the last baffle in the sump so the water level is constantly higher and this won't happen again.

I have basically no DIY skills so I'm not sure the best way to do this. Its a acrylic sump and baffle. I would rather not take it off line as it is the life support for my salty friends.

Is there a way to just attach a piece of acrilic to increase the hight? What glue is any would I need to use? Where can I get a piece of acrylic without buying a huge sheet? Is there a way to cut to size without buying special saw blades or equipment?

Or is there a better way of going about this all together?

I would appreciate any help on this. I feel like an idiot when it comes to this type of thing (help)

weld-on will work. you would need to turn the equipment off, drain an inch of water (so the spot you need to 'glue' is dry), add the new piece of acrylic with weld-on, let sit for about 15 minutes, and you should be able to power it up. the solvent (weld-on) isn't actually glue, it's a pretty nasty chemical that actually monomerizes the acrylic so that it re-polymerizes with the two pieces thoroughly connected. if done properly, the solvent will evaporate in a matter of a minute and be water tight. you can have an acrylic shop cut the size you need, but it's cuttable with regular wood tools (typically).

another thought: try wedging some eggcrate (horizontally) or something at the top of the baffle so the water level rises due to the barrier. it's not water tight, but will slow the water down enough that the level would rise in that compartment. kinda ghetto, but would probably work.

if he raises it, he'll have to adjust it for shallower water, then when the water level rises, it'll flood again. he wants to raise the baffle so the water level is always higher...then he can raise the skimmer the same amount and be in business (at least this is what I understand)

Is your sump acryllic or glass? I have had better luck with silicone over weldon. If you're just wanting a few inches you could get glass cut to size cheaper than acrylic and drain the sump a few inches below normal and simply silicone the new piece on. Thats similar to burningbaals idea but with glass. Its cheaper and stronger IMO.

Is your sump acryllic or glass? I have had better luck with silicone over weldon. If you're just wanting a few inches you could get glass cut to size cheaper than acrylic and drain the sump a few inches below normal and simply silicone the new piece on. Thats similar to burningbaals idea but with glass. Its cheaper and stronger IMO.

good advice, I am a fan of glass myself, though with a sump the scratches don't matter. my suggestion doesn't do any good if your sump is glass. downside to silicone is that it takes a lot longer to cure. 2 hours to water safe and usually recommend 24 hours to make sure it's 100%