Another Store hit with copper

Rick T

What good does that do? The damage would of already been done...they need some kind of copper tester in each tank to set off an alarm...or put locks on all the tanks with like a master key. sounds drastic but you can never be to paranoid...

I would hate to be a LFS owner. I get nerves when I see my 2 year old running around with pennies. I can only imagine how they feel!

The good it would do is at least you would be able to know who is in and out of your store. Not to mention they would have a better chance of finding the person that did it and prosecuting them, or taking them out back and giving them the beating they deserve.

there was a group stealing birds from pet shops about 15 years ago, the good it did to know who was behind it was the shops told eachother who to watch out for so they could stand between them and the most valuable stock. As a result their final act was to steal a whole tank full of baby cockatiels just to be pissy but at least far as I know that was the end of it. All the shop owners should communicate, even the ones who have their differences for the good of all. You can get in a lot of trouble legally if you treat a shoplifter wrong but you can 86 them for life against future incidents.

Great, just to be up front... that is the date and time I went in there. Super. What I saw was the corals in the tray right under the reefstar already bleached like they were dying (probably just too close to the light), admired a deepwater acro in another tank but it had some patches of white as well, seemed like there was something wrong in the tanks. So it could have happened earlier, or maybe those corals were just stressed from shipping and intense light shock. Don't know if the tank with the acro even was the other tank that got hit. For the record I have not been to Ocean in a Box since Perry was running it out of his garage and no matter how much I might dislike a person I would not hurt innocent animals. I have not even left a negative yelp review. Now I really hope he knows who did this so I don't get to be a suspect. And I really like the owner of the 3rd store to get hit. It ain't me and I am pretty sure it's not my friend I went in with either, I don't think he even knew Ocean in a Box existed. Am assuming it's the same person to hit all 3 shops...

LOL Kate, I don't think anyone is worried about you. I know I am not. You do not fit the profile and certainly would not intentionally cause the damage to so many creatures simply because you had an issue with a fish store owner. This was not done by a rational reasonable person. You're not going to be able to make sense of it. I personally do not shop at either one of these stores. Most people if they have an issue with a store simply stop shopping there and let other people know their experience by word of mouth.

I do hope they catch the person but I also agree, that sadly fish stores likely need to add more security.

L. Most people if they have an issue with a store simply stop shopping there and let other people know their experience by word of mouth.

The best thing you can do. No one will always be happy with every store. People have bad experiences while others have great. Either way it does not justify killing off the corals or harming the fish. Thats for us reefers to try NOT to do at home.

Its a mixed bag that this is getting so much attention by not only the reefers but also the news media. Most people didn't know about the harm that copper could do to our little friends but now it is being brodcast all over.

Its good to call these people out and get them punished. But now every wack job out there has heard of this simple way to distroy life. Makes me wonder (scary)

Kate I wouldn't worrie about being a suspect. I think the owner would get hurt long before any corals felt the rage. I would trust you by my tanks anytime. :)

I don't know who the third shop was but my heart goes out to them. I hope the damage is as minor as possibe. Sorry to hear this has spread and more inocent creatures have been poisened (flame)(cussing)(flame)(cussing)(flame)(cussing)

(censored) On second thought that last line is too graphic for a nice forum like this :o

Yeah I don't like people knowing how vulnerable we are to sabotage, seems like in this case the press coverage is bad... it has to be a reef hobbyist to know about copper, anybody else would put some kind of poison in the tank that we could not test for even, we would just be scratching our heads. But great now the press is on it the activists do know... couple pennies or a snip of copper wire and who knows what happens. Also, thanks for the support guys. You'd have to be on the level of Ted Bundy to piss me off that much where I would actually take revenge, and even then I would not go after the animals. My kind of vengence mostly consists of *****ing to my husband who could not care less about fish peoples' interpersonal politics and half the time doesn't listen to a word I say about fish, thus is entirely safe to throw gossip at. (: Plus the only live animal I have ever bought at sw fantaseas is a perfectly healthy yellow tang I got a few years ago, still happily swimming and eating trouble free aside from eating all my blue zoanthids.

I am glad he has video and really hope they nail whoever did this so we can all stop wondering next time we swap frags or host a meeting!