Live Rock and Zoa's

Derbird

Hello everyone,

I have several zoa frags that need to be moved on to rock. They are bursting at the seems and yearning to have room to expand, and make me baby's. So today I purchased some smaller chuncks of semi cured rock from a store today. The store had purchased dry base rock and had been curring it for about four week.

My question, is it alright to put the zoa's on the rock when its not fully cured. I would guess yes, but am still pretty new to the hobby so I figured that I should ask first. The thought of doing something stupid and losing my precious zoa's............. We'll that's unthinkable. (scary)

If its not alright I can let it cure in my sump for a while longer.

Thank you for any imput.

What do you mean by semi-cured? You should probably wait a little longer. But' date=' I understand the desire to do it anyhow. (daz)[/quote']

From my limited understanding of dry rock you should let it "cure" in a tank for a few months to get the micobes to colonize it. But I could be wrong. This rock has been in a system for only a month or so so I wasn't sure it was ready to use. It is still white as a bone.

You did pick the perfect smiley :)

IMHO the goal with "curing" live rock is to be sure it's not producing ammonia from die off and/or not producing an excessive amount of phosphates

If, after 4 weeks in your sump (your sump isn't the best way to "cure" rock) you aren't seeing a rise in these readings it's safe to put in the DT... Anything bad the rock will do has already happened being you "cured" in the sump

IMHO the goal with "curing" live rock is to be sure it's not producing ammonia from die off and/or not producing an excessive amount of phosphates

If, after 4 weeks in your sump (your sump isn't the best way to "cure" rock) you aren't seeing a rise in these readings it's safe to put in the DT... Anything bad the rock will do has already happened being you "cured" in the sump

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

youre fine IMO

I think you'll be fine. if it was high-quality dry rock (when the LFS received it) and they have healthy tanks (read: fully cycled, stable tanks), then the rock should have started with essentially zero organics and gathered a starter batch of bacteria at the LFS, should be no ammonia there (or much of anything else).

I've known of lots of people just dropping 50lbs of dry rock (from marcorocks, for example) into a stable system and not seen a blip of ammonia or any other problem. a few months down the road, it usually looks as beautiful as any other rock in the tank.

speaking of seeding dry rock, if anyone wants some coralline, I have more than I can handle...constant scraping

Archived