Ammonia

reef165

If you want to do the ammonia thing, make sure it has NO SOAP or detergent. Just plain ol' ammonia in a bottle (also known as Ammonium hydroxide). DO NOT use things like windex!

If you don't want to use life, use death. Throw a little seafood in there. Or better yet! Just use the die-off from the live rock to start your cycle. (unless you get well-cured LR from a LFS that stays underwater the whole trip home). If you order it online, there will be a lot of stinkey, dead things that will decompose to make your cycle progress.

The only cure for the cycle is TIME. Let it run it's course. (hard words to follow, I almost did. LOL)

dsoz :)

I'd like to hear a bit more about your setup, first. Size? Live rock (cured or stanky? Live sand? How long has it been cycling? etc..

I'm not a fan of using livestock on the initial cycle -- the tough little fish often don't have the personality to fit in with more passive tankmates and trying to catch the quick little buggers can be frustrating.

I suspect it is a coldwater setup. I did not do use ammonia in my system as was discussed in the tidepool thread. I use food and patience. Took close to 8 weeks before nitrate arrived in my 130 coldwater. If you want some bacteria acclimated to coldwater, go find a store with a lobster tank and beg them to do a water change. Be careful though. The water probably has terrible quality.

I suspect it is a coldwater setup. I did not do use ammonia in my system as was discussed in the tidepool thread. I use food and patience. Took close to 8 weeks before nitrate arrived in my 130 coldwater. If you want some bacteria acclimated to coldwater' date=' go find a store with a lobster tank and beg them to do a water change. Be careful though. The water probably has terrible quality.[/quote']

yes, thats what its for, a coldwater. Ive just gotta plumb my closed loop snapper and start adding water. When the cycles done i want to be able to go to the coast and collect quite a bit each trip, i dont want to go for just a couple things so i wanted to have a good bacteria base and thought that if i were to use the ammonia i could basicaly create a bigger bioload not to speed things up but to create more bacteria. Does this sound right?

More ammonia would create more bacteria. But you could get the same results with adding pieces of raw seafood that will decompose in the tank. The more starter that you add, the more bacteria that you will get.

Maybe start with some live steamer clams from the seafood section of the grocery store. If they live through the cycle, you could still eat them. :) Get a couple of dozen. That many would be plenty to get the bacteria going.

It is not just the bacteria that you should be looking for. You also want other things crawling/swimming in the tank. There are many marine protozoa that are good for the overall health of the tank.

Consider making a smaller first trip. Make sure that you collect some sand, rocks, and muscles and get some ocean water to add to the tank. Consider scraping some of the growth off of an encrusted rock/pier post/dock-side. You should end up with all sorts of neat little critters (amphipods are my favorite). Once that stuff gets established, then your second trip can be a little bigger.

Good luck with the tank :) Someday I would like to try an Oregon Aquarium. I think it would be fun!

dsoz

i like the steamer clam idea, it would give something to lookat also. I do plan on going and getting a couple buckets of wet sand and posably some small rocks very soon! im taking pics now and once ive got the tank full of water and ive started the cycle ill start a thread