RO/DI unit Questions

gwalkerss

I just upgraded my tank and now am interested in a RO/DI unit so i dont have to buy so much water. Can any one give me advise on which one I would need or should use, I have a 75g tank and a limited budget. If any one has a used one or just advise about which brand to buy or not to buy that would be great!!

Thanks for your time

Geoff

I was lucky to find a used model locally(airwaterice brand) and have been extremely happy.

After buying "RO water" for years at a LFS and then finding out it was actually worse than the tapwater, it's great to have 0TDS water available without lugging containers to the store.

I just changed the filters (the unit was a year old when I bought it and I've had it for about a year myself).

The DI and membrane haven't needed replacing yet, just the 3 others.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

I got this RO unit a couple years ago. (See photo) It was used, but took my 300ppm water down to 20. Fine for my FW that I was keeping then.

I want to use it for my upcoming reef tank, and I am wondering if anyone knows what brand it is? Or if the filters are fairly universal. Also which of the four lower stages most likely need to be replaced?

Thank you,

post-793-141867736753_thumb.jpg

I can't help on brand but I would replace ALL the filters. As a filter system gets older it collects hard metals and bacterias, well collecting metals is one thing but its always nice to flush the system of bacteria.

Worst case buy a new 6 stage on ebay for $130 shipped. I spent $230 total and received filter replacements for 6 years, extra membrane, di beads, tds meter and the Unit. Its works spectacular and outputs right to specified 100 GPD.

I would replace all the filters, looks like the vertical ones are sediment/micron and carbon filters, as well as the RO membrane which is in that horizontal casing. They are pretty much universal. Then i would add a vertical DI chamber, it should be pretty easy to add. That should get you all setup!

Impur,

Thanks. I understood it......until I read more than the first page. LOL. But seriously, it did help me have the basic information.

So what is the advantage of having RO and DI? In theory shouldn't my RO be able to remove it all? Or do I not fully understand how RO works? (Assume all filter media is working correctly)

Doran

In theory, if your RO membrane is 99.9 efficient, it should remove just about all impurities. But theory in the real world doesn't always work out that way does it ;) Some companies put out 90% efficient membranes and say they are 99.9 or say they are 90% and actually do 80%.

Ok thanks everyone. I am analytical, and sometimes I just can't wrap my mind around a concept with out getting more information.

I am going to get that add-on DI and before I use it, I am going to replace all my cartridges it looks like I have two carbon and two micron cartridges. From the picture above does that sound right?