LED strips?

siskiou

Since I'm not electrically savvy enough to switch a workhorse ballast for the Advance brand currently in my Tek fixture, I would have to buy the exact same ballast, to make it easy to just "cut and paste" the new one in.

It will cost close to $100.

I've also been looking at LED lights, and know I won't be able to buy something that covers the whole tank right now.

But are there "strips" (3-4 foot long), that I could add into the fixture (my actinic set went out, meaning the outside four bulbs, two at the front, and two at the end)? Something that is reasonable good quality, but doesn't break the bank?

Maybe a DIY kit.

Can someone recommend something?

I've only just started reading about LEDs, so I don't know all that much about what's good for corals.

If they were controllable via 1-10v interface, it would be awesome!

Less are great. They will break the bank though. Led strips are usually not that great. The one day you do decide to upgrade, I suggest you go with a company that provides 3w LEDs. It helps to know how big your tank is as well. You can get great DIY kits from rapidled.com. I currently ordered a plug in and play kit (no soldering needed). If your looking to just get a blue color in the tank, then the led strips would work.

I'd recommend a DIY if you are on a budget and have long range plans to switch to LED. RapidLED.com has actinic supplement kits that come with everything you need with a heatsink as well.

What is your budget?

I honestly feel the dimming is not totally necessary. Though it is good for acclimating corals when going from a less intense light source to a more intense one, but it seems like an aesthetic choice for me. The constant current drivers work just fine and they are easier to install/troubleshoot.

The LED strips look nice, but are not a substitute for a T5 (usually).

Thanks, Miles!

I actually just got back from HomeDepot, where they have the exact Advance ballast model that needs replacing for 40 bucks. Online, they go for much more!

So, I bought one and hope to just be able to disconnect/reconnect the wires from old to new, one by one.

I hope that will take care of the problem!

Right now, the tank has an old actinic vho bulb as the only lighting, and man, does it look good! Still can't beat vho actinics! I'm half tempted to add a couple of bulbs, just for looks, with that workhorse 7 ballast!

Archived