Anyone local growing phyto and rotifers?

JimmyK

I'm wanting to start culturing phyto and rotifers I was hoping someone local would have some for sale before I order. I'm in Hillsboro but can meet just about anywhere in metro Portland area. Thanks for the help.

I think wanareef is doing phyto and he's in the beaverton area. Electrokate who is not far from me also I believe has phyto' date=' rotifers and all kinds of cultures. I think Barelycuda does as well.[/quote']

I didn't know that I moved DOH! Nobody told me (laugh) (laugh) (laugh) Kim I'm in the Jantzen Beach area

Jim - stuck your head out of the sand, did you. I have phyto it is work but takes only 5 mins a day every other day or every other other day to tend to it, just need some space.

I am actually using both. I raise the live stuff to keep the rotifers going and feed the rotifers to my coral. If the phyto crashes (common occurance) I use the frozen, and that day will feed some to the coral as well. Dave is right, I spent probably 80 bucks on the gear to culture the phyto, and the frozen stuff costs 80 bucks. So just buy it. (: On the other hand I have more time than money, daily cost of culturing phyto is pretty cheap. It also rarely crashes the rotifers, as what they do not eat stays alive til they get to it. I culture copepods with the rotifers together, something you don't want to do if you are feeding baby fish, and I don't siphon out the detritus very often. So guess if you need clean cultures for breeding fish I am not your source but if you like experimenting with cultures I can hook you up. I also have macros that live in the cultures for the copepods to climb on and hide from eachother, as some are cannibals.

Thanks everyone for the help. Charles, every few years I figure I should post something.(laugh) I was looking into the paste. It seems much easier than running 7 or 8 jugs in my garage. I am going to try and raise some gold bar maroon clowns that keep laying eggs.

Right now I'm leaning towards the paste. How long does a tube of paste last for a couple of 5 gallon roto cultures?

I didn't know that I moved DOH! Nobody told me (laugh) (laugh) (laugh) Kim I'm in the Jantzen Beach area

Jim - stuck your head out of the sand, did you. I have phyto it is work but takes only 5 mins a day every other day or every other other day to tend to it, just need some space.

rofl Sorry Charles... I don't know why I thought you were in Beaverton!

Archived