Elevating live rock

J-Dog

What do u guys think is the best way to elevate your live rock, so that it's not buried by sand? Would eggcrate underneath it work, or would it contaminate the water over time? I need some ideas, please help

I don't want to build any towers or have PVC showing anywhere. I just want to lift the rock so that it is close to my sand line. How would one construct a PVC structure that sits in the sandbed and lifts the base rock? I've never seen that before, so I have no idea what it would look like.

Use like a few inches of 1.5-2 inch pvc pieces. Like a soda can without a top or bottom. Bury them into the sand. Then cradle the rock on top of them. Spacers basically. If you want to bury something, use the plastic cutting board material (forgot the technical name). I would avoid things with little holes like eggcate. They fill with nastiness

use elbows, T's and 1-2" pipe to create a network that will fit under the sand, then upturns wherever a support is actually needed and have a pipe that goes up to right at the sand surface. I'd fill the open end with epoxy or something so you don't gather detritus in the pvc system.

How about drill the rock and insert some acrylic rods, cut and level. Not sure why you need to elevate, I cut my rock bottoms flat on a tile saw then puttied them in place building the structures as I went then filled in the sand around them. Some pieces only had small points of attachment to the bottom where they were cut

How about drill the rock and insert some acrylic rods' date=' cut and level. Not sure why you need to elevate, I cut my rock bottoms flat on a tile saw then puttied them in place building the structures as I went then filled in the sand around them. Some pieces only had small points of attachment to the bottom where they were cut[/quote']

Steve, how deep is your sand bed? I was thinking that if I had a deep sand bed, I didn't want half of my base rock buried underneath. Cutting some pieces flat might be a good way to have something underneath

I did a shallow sand around the outside perimeter of the rock work then deeper in the rock areas. I have a few Tigertails that move a lot of sand around from the outside area to the inside and back

hard to believe any slope you put in there stayed that way...how's it doing? am I wrong?

Archived