What kind of lights are you using?

Chief

I am not sure if I like the 400watt XM 20K's that I have over my tank right now.

Maybe it is because I have no other supplementation. I plan on getting some VHO actinics in the near future.

Everything is just too blue/purple. It is kind of washed out.

What kind of lights are you using? How have they been working for you?

Jay

Ive been using two, 250W DE 14K Pheonix bulbs in ROIII reflectors driving by a dual 250W HQI Sunlight supply ballast. These are supplimented with 4, 110W, VHO, URI brand SuperActinicR's driven by a LampsNow e-ballast. This setup works pretty good but I dont think I would go with the DE bulbs again. Seem to have better light spread with the SE mogal bulbs IMO. I also would like to have some "whiter" light when the MH's are off and just the VHO's are running. The only option is the 50/50 bulbs or the AquaSun bulbs, these BOTH appear to be too pink to me. I think there would be better options with the t-5 bulbs.

Dennis

Bran-spankin-new (out of box today!) 4 foot TEK T5HO 6 bulb fixture. Over a 45g tank it just SHINES! Even though I only have 4 of the 6 bulbs in place (two more next month... I can't wait, it will be blinding!)

Thanks to J&Jr for the great deal!

dsoz :)

Have 15k XM 400w +vho atinic pair, going to 20k, was thinking about radiums. The 20k will tone down, as does the 15k. If you have or could trade,sell etc. to an HQI I would do the radiums. Jason has found an outlet and can get great prices on the bulbs

I would suggest the 10k for lux and get some d&d t-5 for actinic (I can help you out with reflectors if need be) You could do 4-48" long actinic pure and it would be more than enough, and you wont have to replace as much as the VHO. I just got my Pure actinic D&D's and the color change is amazing to what I had before. Pics will be added to my gallery soon.

I'm going back to Radiums with my HQI ballast on the next switch, (which is soon). I changed and went with Helios 20k's haven't liked them from the start.

I run 440w of VHOs, (3 true actinics 03 and 1 actinic white), before and after the MH's run. I'm really happy with that look.