MH reflectors

Bicyclebill

I'm going back to MH from led. Question though: for a 48" wide 90g and (2) 250w radiums, do I really need better reflectors than retrofit bat wings? My hood is only 12" tall, so I'd either need short ones or larger ones mounted on top with holes cut in my canopy. Don't want the light spillage without my canopy. Wanting to keep mostly sps, but have plenty of lps and softies too

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

The lumen Max Elite Reflectors made a difference on the amount of light actually reflected back into the tank reason I stay away from batwings in my tanks and my gardens. 360 degrees of reflection makes a diffrence. Also went with digital ballasts you gain about 30% more light compared to magnetic ballasts and old magnetic ballast rob more power the older they get.

Remember the par readins I post a while back in the led thread? That was because of the reflectors I was using. Get the lumen bright minis they are a powerful reflector and can punch deep into the bottom of any tank. I was also running 250w radiums and using the blue wave ballast. When running radiums make sure to use an m80 hqi spec ballast, that is the olny correct ballast the radium were made to run on any other ballast and you will be under driving the bulbs. Radiums are a very poweful setup when ran on the right ballast using good reflectors.

I would go with lumen max mini reflectors. What Did you do with you LED setup. I may be interested in them.
I'm trading them back to Cos at OIAB for some MH stuff. I couldn't get them high enough due to my 12" tall canopy and was burning the tips of my SPS and melting down my favias.

If you have any doubts read this comparison with all the reflectors and make your choice.

http://web1.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1664775

Thanks! Good info. I did a search on pendants there, and should have searched reflectors instead. I'm almost afraid to get better reflectors because I want to keep some chalices and LPS too, without hiding them where I can't even see them.

Remember the par readins I post a while back in the led thread? That was because of the reflectors I was using. Get the lumen bright minis they are a powerful reflector and can punch deep into the bottom of any tank. I was also running 250w radiums and using the blue wave ballast. When running radiums make sure to use an m80 hqi spec ballast' date=' that is the olny correct ballast the radium were made to run on any other ballast and you will be under driving the bulbs. Radiums are a very poweful setup when ran on the right ballast using good reflectors.[/quote']

I know the consensus is that Radiums require M80 HQI ballasts, but what's a person to do that's getting into reefing today? There aren't any M80 ballasts sold in the US through any of the normal reef websites I can find. I know the Phoenix 14K DE is also supposed to run the same ballast.

Archived