Eddie's New 24 Gallon AquaPod

Cuttlefish

It's been a while since I've posted an update on the tank so here's a brief update:

-It's going on a year since I set it up and it's doing great.

- The tank still houses most of the original corals with the exception of the bubble coral and of course I've added some.

- I upgraded the flow to to about a total of 700 gph (300 from a MaxiJet 1200 and a 400 gph additional powerhead)

-I took off the Hydor Flo because I found that it clogged frequently and for some reason my snails loved to crawl behind the part that turns and wedge there so that it stopped turning. Go figure. Overall the flow is actually better because of the removal.

- The mangrove is getting kinda big. Too big for the hang on the back refugium in my opinion. It's still growing so I don't think it's quite "root bound" yet but I'd like to start planning on something.

Any suggestions? I've beend toying with the idea of putting in a refugium beside the tank (there's no way I'd squeeze a sump in that stand and I'd like to display the mangrove anyway). The trick is of course how to get the water down there. Are there overflows small enough? I wouldn't need much flow to go through it.

I also thought about just getting a bigger hang on the back refugium but there aren't any substantially bigger that will fit on there. I don't think.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Here's the scoop so far. I've decided to go for it and add a bigger refugium to the nano reef. I've ordered an acrylic 18 gallon tank drilled with a couple of holes at the top. Reef-Fisher, I kinda like the idea of keeping the display tank small and just adding a second tank to it. Maybe it's just the reef geek in me. The new refugium will be lit by the same PC fixture now hanging over the mangrove . Hopefully if it turns out the way I have it imagined, the two pieces of tubing between the tanks will be somewhat unnoticed.

The refugium tank will actually sit somwhat higher than the display tank on a bookshelf next to the display. Actually the shelf is a few inches shorter than the top of the display but the top of the 18 gallon will be at least a foot higher, allowing me to use gravity. IN other words, my display will act as a sort of sump.

Another added benefit to the new refugium sitting on the bookshelf is that it'll be closer to eye level. Right now the hang on the back refugium doesn't allow me any kind of view back there so I can't see what's going on in it. This way, I'll get to check out what's growing and also keep something cool in it. I'm considering a reef lobster of some kind. We'll see. The tank ships out tomorrow and should be here next week. I'll try to take pics of the set up and post them.

• 1 year later...