diy glass tank

jmetz32

thinking about trying to build a small glass or acrylic tank in the future..

for a glass tank, do you NEED the black trim braces seen on All-Glass Aquariums?..

if i made a glass tank with glass strips on the top for bracing like you would on an acrylic tank, would it hold fine?

anyone with experience in glass tank building?

thanks

No' date=' you don't need the black plastic trim, nore do you need the euro brace as long as you use thick enouph glass, but if you go acrylic then you do need it as acrylic isn't as ridged as glass and it will bow.[/quote']

+1

Ed can get you the glass cut and polished, or I have a friend who works in dallas that can do the same, or any glass shop for that matter. glass thickness depends on depth and maximum span. for example in general for 75 and 90 gallon tanks I've read that 3/8" glass is good for rimmed-tanks and 1/2" for rimless. that doesn't sound like much but the price difference is pretty significant

IMO It would be easier to build a small glass tank opposed to an acrylic tank. You need to spend a good deal of time prepping the edges of the acrylic prior to welding the seams. Not only that depending on the size of the tank it may be cheaper to use glass. Acrylic tanks that dont need a euro brace will need thick walls which will cost more than the glass

i think i would feel better about a tank that was welded together like acrylic ones if properly done than pieces of glass "glued" together...

im going to try both thoughh.. glass is definately cheaper..

While I understand what you're saying, but the silicone used for glass tanks is incredibly strong. If you set the tank on its side and drop a sledge hammer on it, the glass will crack long before the silicone loses grip...that is, if it's properly done-but the same caveat of constriction quality applied to acrylic welding

I know what thickness of material i think.

I have a 36x36x24 acrylic cube that is half inch thick...

i was thinking about trying to make another 36x36x24 cube in the future... using half inch as well.. but i want to change position of where overflow is located.

i also thought maybe making a 120 wide.. 4x2x2.. i would us 1/2 inch acrylic on that as well and 3/4" glass on either one... correct me if you think that is wrong..

just what i was thinking

You can use 1/2 inch glass on the 36x36x24, but if you are going rimmless you will need to go with prob 1 1/2 inch acrylic to stop the bow ( I got a 48x12x12 acrylic frag tank here made of 1 inch acrylic that has a bow to it). cost wise even if they were both the same price you will get more for your $ going with glass, with acrylic and it being 36 there will be a 12 inch cutoff that you will endup paying for, not with glass. as for the "gluing" of the glass, well it is more of a bonding of the glass, and glass tanks have been around longer than acrylic, acrylic can fail too, it's all in the craftsmanship.

No I think he's saying that glass tanks have been around much longer than acrylic tanks, so its proven that glass tanks work great. You are correct in that acrylic is stronger than glass of the same thickness, but this is for shattering. Acrylic will scratch much easier than glass tough.

In the end the craftsmanship is the most important thing like Ed stated. So make sure you use someone who knows what they are doing :)

No I think he's saying that glass tanks have been around much longer than acrylic tanks, so its proven that glass tanks work great. You are correct in that acrylic is stronger than glass of the same thickness, but this is for shattering. Acrylic will scratch much easier than glass though.

In the end the craftsmanship is the most important thing like Ed stated. So make sure you use someone who knows what they are doing :)

okay thanks for the clearification :)

thats what i thought. the glass is more shatter proof.. but a acrylic tank made right with a top or euro-bracing will be stronger( by stronger i mean resist leaking of come apart at the seems than a rimless glass tank. right?

thats what i thought. the glass is more shatter proof.. but a acrylic tank made right with a top or euro-bracing will be stronger( by stronger i mean resist leaking of come apart at the seems than a rimless glass tank. right?

An acrylic tank is more shatter resistant than a glass tank. There is a reason most public aquariums use acrylic. If you have a big rock slide in a glass tank you have a chance of the tank shattering, if you have that same rock slide in an acrylic tank you'll have some scratches, but your floor will be dry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I think the point we're all trying to make is that an acrylic tank made right and a glass tank made right are pretty equivalent in terms of longevity. if the glass bonding is done right, you couldn't tear it apart with all your might...and a friends - the same is true of an acrylic bod...if it's done right.

i would make the decision based on different factors:

is the craftsman available better with one or the other?

is one significantly different price for the product?

acrylic is more clear (unless you get starfire glass, which costs more)

glass is more scratch-resistant

more options with acrylic, but if you're planning on rectangular panels, this doesn't make a difference.

...there's probably more...

An acrylic tank is more shatter resistant than a glass tank. There is a reason most public aquariums use acrylic. If you have a big rock slide in a glass tank you have a chance of the tank shattering, if you have that same rock slide in an acrylic tank you'll have some scratches, but your floor will be dry.

I meant acrylic is more shatter proof. sorry hah

Bending acrylic is hard, I tryed it several times and there is a fine line between hot enouph to bend properly and to hot that it bubbles, and then theres if ya bend it good, is it square and level between both sides, cuz if not perfect the joints wont be tight enouph and wont weld properly, if you don't have an acrylic bender it is even harder, they are about $35 or ya can make one with an old toaster, and not done with thicker than 3/8, and even on 3/8 they do a relief cut so it bends right. I would suggest doing several test bends. Starfire glass is almost as clear as acrylic, but it is also easyer to scratch than reg glass, but still harder to than acrylic.

Ed...the wealth of experience and information :D

I dont know if that was sarcasm or not :) I do have allot of experience with acrylic and growing (quickly) experience with glass, and I must say that galss is atleats more forgiving, and if the seams don't come out right you are not screwed, you just cut it apart and call it a redo, if acrylic dosn't come out you make a smaller tank.

Archived