Omar's 30 gallon reef...

omarortiz

I just really started getting back into the hobby around October of 2011. I transferred the tank from a BioCube 29. I have found that I like cubes, but I prefer rectangular tanks (at least for now). I also found that the BioCube is no where near 29 gallons. I think I had to add 7 gallons of makeup water when I switched the aquariums.

I feel that 30-40 gallons is about the right size for me right now. Doing a 5 or 10 gallon water change is simply more manageable to me.

Right now, I am only keeping one fish (a pink spot shrimp goby). He is a murderous fish, but he is my murderous fish. He keeps a pile of discarded hermit shells in the back of the live rock. (naughty)

I have wrapped up the first stage of rebuilding. So far I have added or done the following:

1. New stand
  2. Added the sump and skimmer from an older setup
  3. Did lots of water changes
  4. Scrubbed rocks for nuisance algae (hair, caulerpa and red bubble)
  5. Upgraded the lighting to LEDs from T5 (then upgraded again to DIY LEDs for more power)
  6. Regulated maintenance and testing
  7. Added some corals
  8. Started aquascaping

I did recently acquire a calcium and magnesium test kit and my readings are high with both respects, so I am letting them decline until I restart my dosing regimen. mEq is typically between 3 to 4 and I am still dosing for that. The lesson learned: 1:1 two part dosing (yeah right).

As for stage 2, I have more to do. I plan on adding more corals and am on the lookout for some acans and some montis. I might be switching the sand out, but I have enjoyed the look of the black sand because of the contrast that the black creates. The next items of equipment I am considering are: (1) a calcium reactor or dosing pump and (2) a controller.

Now for the few pics that I have so far! More to come!

November 2011

SAM_0438.JPG

2011-11-29%252020.18.23.jpg

December 2011

shot_1324253522914.jpg

shot_1324241441100.jpg

January 2012

2012-01-26%252022.21.56.jpg

February 2012

2012-02-14%252012.45.42.jpg

Thanks Miles. I always go back and forth on the sand, but I am still pro-black sand. It's all about aesthetics on that one. It's also nice to have something a little different as well. Feel free to come check it out sometime. I might even gift you a bottle of mead if it is up to spec when I bottle it.

nhowe -- Yeah, I cannot find tonga at all anymore. I would have liked to have picked up a couple of more of the fused pieces when I first got mine because they provide convenient gaps to put frag plugs in, but alas the supply seems to have dried out for some reason.

nhowe -- Yeah, I cannot find tonga at all anymore. I would have liked to have picked up a couple of more of the fused pieces when I first got mine because they provide convenient gaps to put frag plugs in, but alas the supply seems to have dried out for some reason.

I was told by Tim of West Side that tonga had stoped shipping rock due to the distrution of thier reefs. Great rock but I can't blam them for protecting there resorces.

PS the tank is looking great! just might have to try black sand one of these days :)

The black sand is made from volcanic magma, so that would make it slightly magnetic. It's actually pretty cool how it forms. Apparently, when the magma hits the ocean, it explodes into sand. But, I haven't seen another black sand tank. I'd start a black sand club, but then there would only be me in it. (whistle)

I was told by Tim of West Side that tonga had stoped shipping rock due to the distrution of thier reefs. Great rock but I can't blam them for protecting there resorces.

PS the tank is looking great! just might have to try black sand one of these days :)

Yeah it's shut down. I heard a story, might not be true, that people were backing up trucks and destroying the reef indiscriminately. You have to buy it from people that are shutting down their tanks. Hard to get but very cool stuff.

The black sand is made from volcanic magma' date=' so that would make it slightly magnetic. It's actually pretty cool how it forms. Apparently, when the magma hits the ocean, it explodes into sand. But, I haven't seen another black sand tank. I'd start a black sand club, but then there would only be me in it. (whistle)[/quote']

Put me in the black sand club, I love my black sand so far!

• 3 weeks later...

I recently decided to replace my Mag 5 return pump because it was always rattling every time I cleaned off the impeller. I joined in the BRS group buy started by Kasasah to see what all the fuss was about. (Thank you, Kasasah.)

Well, I got my shipment today after a couple of days of increasingly louder rattling from my old return pump. It seems like I replaced it just in time. I replaced the Mag 5 with an Ocean Runner 2500. This pump gets mixed reviews, but I figured I would give it a try. I figured it had to be better than a rio 1700, nearly on par with a Danner Mag 7 and not as good as an Eheim 1260 (but at a third of the price, that is okay). And, with the money I "saved" I would be able to get the light controller that I wanted.

The difference is significant. It is much quieter than the Mag 5, has higher output and the flow is not as turbulent. After the upgrade, my overflow started to gurgle from the increased flow (I think). And, so it was off again to the hardware store to add a very short 1" durso to the overflow, which I had been putting off as well. The problem was solved after a little bit of work.

Oh, and I added an ALC to my RKL with a pair of moonlights with my "savings". They add a nice effect and are impossible for me to photograph.

[i will add some pictures of the other items tomorrow.]

Here is what the sump was like back in November before I added a top off and the new pump.

2011-11-28%252014.02.55.jpg

And, here is an image of the sump now with the live rock removed (most of it went into the display) and the caulerpa gone (a couple of mexican red leg hermits ate all of it). I submerged the return pump because it freed up some space for the top off container and the new pump is much bigger than the old one.

2012-03-07%252011.05.01.jpg

And, finally a little Durso standpipe mod I made to deal with gurgling noises from my CS90 overflow. I can't really justify a DIY thread for it, but all it takes are some 1" fittings and pipe (1 1/4" will not fit).

The list is:

• a couple of short ends of pipe (2-3 inches)
  • two street elbows (you have to have street elbows as a standard elbow is too large)
  • a cross (you can probably get away with a tee)
  • a cap
  • and a male threaded to female slip coupling (if you have a threaded bulkhead on your CS90)

You can't see it in the pic, but it is necessary to drill a tiny hole (I chose 5/64") in the top of the cap to provide your standpipe with just enough air to not create a siphon that sounds like a toilet.

2012-03-07%252011.11.32.jpg

The black sand is made from volcanic magma' date=' so that would make it slightly magnetic. It's actually pretty cool how it forms. Apparently, when the magma hits the ocean, it explodes into sand. But, I haven't seen another black sand tank. I'd start a black sand club, but then there would only be me in it. (whistle)[/quote']

I will did up some pictures of my black sand 55. I just tore it down over the last couple weeks.

• 1 month later...

I feel like part of my thread was deleted. (scratch)

Anyhow, Got some new stuff at Garrett's today. First, a couple of frags. They are still opening up, but they should be doing good. One is an Acan and the other a Duncan.

And of course, the main reason I went to Garrett's was to pick up an Eshopps S-120 Economy Cone Skimmer after a different one I was using was not working out.

2012-04-18%252018.02.59.jpg2012-04-18%252018.02.38.jpg2012-04-18%252017.23.11.jpg

I just got that same skimmer. Works like a champ. Mine cracked straight up the cone though... luckily its not affecting performance at all since I never filled out the warranty. Oh well, at least it works.

I like the black sand, pretty cool.

I just got that same skimmer. Works like a champ. Mine cracked straight up the cone though... luckily its not affecting performance at all since I never filled out the warranty. Oh well, at least it works.

I like the black sand, pretty cool.

Yeah, I will be writing a detailed review of the skimmer soon. My first impressions are good. I am quite pleased at how quiet it is. It does look like the seam along the cone seems a bit vulnerable to opening up. It's probably an easy fix with some acrylic glue.

If tis supposed to have that "crack" up the side? That makes me happy. I thought it was just mine. There is some salt creep coming through but whatever to that.

It is certainly silent! The "Europeon silenced design" or whatever the claimed in the description really helped me sell it to the fiance. She love that the tank is nearly silent these days.

Archived