Water not clear...

Frank

So tank has been set up now for 2 weeks not sure if it just me being impatient (Know better in this hobby) or what but tank still looks cloudy I ran very fine sand and see a lot of partials in the water have sock and have been changing them out tried so water clarifier and still looks the same I’m about at my end with it. Looking to see if anyone else has had this problem if so what did you do and how long did it last.

Hows the water test? Nutrients can all make a hazy look. Ammonia to nitrates. Also phosphate. A good skim and carbon should help. Also, a uv helps if you have one. They are a good water polisher, especially if it is a bacterial or algal bloom in the water column. Does it get sunlight?

In geology, "very fine sand" is defined as consisting of grains in the size range of 0.0625 - 0.125 mm (1/16 to 1/8 mm). That's just above mud, which consists of silt (0.0039 - 0.0625 mm) and clay (0.0002 - 0.0039 mm). If your supplier follows the standard geological definitions, it should be no surprise that there'd be a lot of fines even in washed sand...

There's a known mathematical relationship between particle size and the current velocity at which those particles will settle (or erode), and you need an average water velocity of under 0.1 cm/sec to get the smallest fines to settle. Doable in FW -- I've intentionally added microfines from dissolved clay to a planted FW tank experiencing a bacteria bloom in order to clear the water, believe it or not -- but not likely in a marine aquarium.

The fines will eventually collect enough bacteria, algae, and biofilm goo upon their surfaces to facilitate settling. Provide a quiet little backwater somewhere in the system to encourage this. Reducing flow to whatever extent you're comfortable with should help speed the process along a tad, inasmuch as slower currents will reduce the kinetic energy involved when individual particles bump into something and make them more likely to stick instead of bouncing off. Also, the boundary layer is your friend here, so don't disrupt it -- if you've got powerheads in the tank already, remove them if possible. And it may actually help to back off on the filtration and skimming -- if there's stuff drifting around that's larger than the fines, some of them may bump into it, stick to it, and disappear along with it when you crank up the machinery again.

In geology, "very fine sand" is defined as consisting of grains in the size range of 0.0625 - 0.125 mm (1/16 to 1/8 mm). That's just above mud, which consists of silt (0.0039 - 0.0625 mm) and clay (0.0002 - 0.0039 mm). If your supplier follows the standard geological definitions, it should be no surprise that there'd be a lot of fines even in washed sand...

There's a known mathematical relationship between particle size and the current velocity at which those particles will settle (or erode), and you need an average water velocity of under 0.1 cm/sec to get the smallest fines to settle. Doable in FW -- I've intentionally added microfines from dissolved clay to a planted FW tank experiencing a bacteria bloom in order to clear the water, believe it or not -- but not likely in a marine aquarium.

The fines will eventually collect enough bacteria, algae, and biofilm goo upon their surfaces to facilitate settling. Provide a quiet little backwater somewhere in the system to encourage this. Reducing flow to whatever extent you're comfortable with should help speed the process along a tad, inasmuch as slower currents will reduce the kinetic energy involved when individual particles bump into something and make them more likely to stick instead of bouncing off. Also, the boundary layer is your friend here, so don't disrupt it -- if you've got powerheads in the tank already, remove them if possible. And it may actually help to back off on the filtration and skimming -- if there's stuff drifting around that's larger than the fines, some of them may bump into it, stick to it, and disappear along with it when you crank up the machinery again.

that explains why it works in Dan's tank-established/aged

Question is how long for that to happen and can you wait that long.

I feel your pain

just be patient, lol. The "fines" wont harm anything... In fact they are probably helping with the transition from MH to LED as a natural "dimming" ;)

Soon enough bacteria will colonize the sand keeping it in place....

just be patient(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

I would say wait another two weeks. Do you have livestock in the tank? Is it cycled? Did you add any type of "starter" bacteria? As the grains of sand get a "bio" coating on them, they will settle. It does sound like maybe silt particles floating around. Either that or it is a bacteria bloom of some sort. Are you dosing any carbon sources like vodka or vinegar?

Did you say you tried a marine clarifier of some sort? These are anti flocculating agents and I've used one before that worked pretty darn well. The marine claifiers work by sticking to particulate matter in the water column and sinking them to the bottom. Since this didn't work well for you, Im thinking maybe it is some sort of bacterial bloom.

Dennis

I would say wait another two weeks. Do you have livestock in the tank? Is it cycled? Did you add any type of "starter" bacteria? As the grains of sand get a "bio" coating on them, they will settle. It does sound like maybe silt particles floating around. Either that or it is a bacteria bloom of some sort. Are you dosing any carbon sources like vodka or vinegar?

Dennis

Yea I have livestock I just transfer the old tank into the new one.

All cycling is done I think id was just a lot of stuff floating around i did at first move the carbon pellets over but took them off line with it being a new tank.

Archived