Ecoxotic LED's

NoobtoSalt

I'm looking to downgrade my tank size but get some good quality gear to go into the new tank. Anyone know anything good/bad about Ecoxotic led's? I'm considering just doing a biocube at this point (still might have a tank custom built) but wanted to see if anyone knows anything about these guys. I have also looked into the Rapid led's and that's an option as well.

Thanks

I am running 4 of the ecoxotic 6w stunnerstrip on my biocube 14 I have 2x 8,000k and 2x 454 blues great color my corals love it and it has a nice shimmer effect but not overpoweringly so. its a great deal and one transformer could run 10 of the 6w strips. Or you could power 2 of the 21 pannorama pros with 3 6w stunner strip but that would be overkill to say the least.

I was looking into the Ecoxotic Module, but needing two for my cube would have been the same price as the Rapid Kit. Without the dimmer function and wanting to disperse the leds out evenly over the tank I ended up going with the Rapid Kit. I must say I am very impressed. It comes with two silent fans which the old ones were too loud. Also I'm running the leds at 50% because at 100% is way too bright and afraid it would bleach my corals

I have heard that there is quite the difference in performance between the newer panorama pros over the stunner strips or the older panoramas. I have three panorama pros and they appear to light up the tank far better than my T5s did and they use about half the wattage of the T5s.

The big advantage I see with the ecoxotics modules is that they are an easy installation and can be torn down easily as well and reused for some other purpose. They are also dimmable now with their manual switch dimmer.

With that said, you can get significantly more output for your dollar with DIY kits using the CREE LEDs, and you can use just about any electronic controllers out there. However, it is more time consuming to install and troubleshoot. And, correct me if I am wrong, it seems that you are stuck with whatever you finally decide to glue the LEDs to once you install them on the heatsink.

The epoxy easily pops off, so glueing is not permanent-some DIY kits have solderless which is the way for me in the future-After building a smany units I have and the hours of trouble shooting sloder connections-I'm done with that. Initially most did not have solderless but they do now (clap)

I have one last unit to build and I'm done.

Jesse, you wrote

"good quality gear" remember with LEDs sometimes you get what you pay for so be cautious-it sounds as if there are enough folks using what yopu are looking at to be safe, but there are so many options out there its mind numbing.

I guess you opted out of the route I PM'd you (laugh) good luck on your endevour- Been there and done that (doh)

I was looking into the Ecoxotic Module' date=' but needing two for my cube would have been the same price as the Rapid Kit. Without the dimmer function and wanting to disperse the leds out evenly over the tank I ended up going with the Rapid Kit. I must say I am very impressed. It comes with two silent fans which the old ones were too loud. Also I'm running the leds at 50% because at 100% is way too bright and afraid it would bleach my corals[/quote']

Got any pictures of your tank?

The epoxy easily pops off, so glueing is not permanent-some DIY kits have solderless which is the way for me in the future-After building a smany units I have and the hours of trouble shooting sloder connections-I'm done with that. Initially most did not have solderless but they do now (clap)

I have one last unit to build and I'm done.

Jesse, you wrote

"good quality gear" remember with LEDs sometimes you get what you pay for so be cautious-it sounds as if there are enough folks using what yopu are looking at to be safe, but there are so many options out there its mind numbing.

I guess you opted out of the route I PM'd you (laugh) good luck on your endevour- Been there and done that (doh)

I plan on getting the models with solderless connections. Even if I have to solder it's not a big deal. Were talking about a biocube not a 400 gallon tank..lol

I'm about 90% sold on the rapid leds. I have my reef keeper ordered again, Doh! And plan on ordering the lighting when they get them in stock in the next few days. If my plan was the custom cube I would have considered the ecotech lighting as well just from asthetics as well as the storm mode. I'm hoping I can still get my rapid leds to work in storm mode along with an mp 10 but we will see

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Archived