Weight Of 180 Gallon On Second Floor

Mitchell

I'd like to keep my 180 gallon aquarium, but the only place I can set it up is on the second floor. I can set it up with the floor joists going perpendicular and on a load bearing wall, but I am still a bit concerned about the weight. Is anyone on here knowledgeable about structural engineering? If so I would be more than grateful if you could help me.

Thanks,

Mitchell

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have a 125 in a hundred year old house with no foundation. It's on the first floor but needless to say I was concerned. Two years later and the floor has not warped at all, IMO if you do everything you described IE load bearing wall ext. you will be fine. I think the six feet goes a long way in helping to disperse the weight, I am no engineer though.

You'll want to look into the deflection calculation as well. I believe the IBC allows designs of only 30psf "live load" and deflection of L/360 where L is the length of any single member's span. So if your joists are spanning 15 feet you'd have an allowable deflection of (15 x 12)/360 = 0.5". Fortunately by placing your tank at one end of the member's span you'll have the least amount of deflection.

Ed - are you sure about the 250psf load you quoted? I believe IBC only requires a 30psf "live load" plus 5psf "dead load" (which is consumed by the building materials) for sleeping areas.

You'll want to look into the deflection calculation as well. I believe the IBC allows designs of only 30psf "live load" and deflection of L/360 where L is the length of any single member's span. So if your joists are spanning 15 feet you'd have an allowable deflection of (15 x 12)/360 = 0.5". Fortunately by placing your tank at one end of the member's span you'll have the least amount of deflection.

Ed - are you sure about the 250psf load you quoted? I believe IBC only requires a 30psf "live load" plus 5psf "dead load" (which is consumed by the building materials) for sleeping areas.

40 psf for living areas and 30 psf for sleeping areas is what the IBC states. dead load is typically between 5 to 10 psf for house construction. i would be concerned with deflection of the floor system as stated above plus how bouncy the floor gets from all the additional weight. when was the house built and do you know what the floor construction is, joists size, spacing and span?

when was the house built and do you know what the floor construction is' date=' joists size, spacing and span?[/quote']

Thanks for all the help guys! The house was built in the mid 90s, the joists are 17 feet long and 16" apart. The wall I am planning on putting it goes all the way down into the foundation, so I would assume that would make it even stronger.

Actualy Frank the beam sits directly under your tank and the wall it is up against is non load bearing. As you stand in front of the tank the flor joists run out to the left and the right from that beam out to the load bearing walls. the good news is that directly under you tank were those floor joist run over the beam they mor then likeley overlap each other. Being as your tank is only 4ft wide only 2ft is over hanging eaither side of the beam there and that wall it is up against has the supporting post for that beam running down to the foundation . Realy that is the stongest place on your second floor to have put a 300 gallon cube =)

No, I'm not sure, My old landloard said something like that to me and said that my 165 gallon tank would be fine, I wasn't going to argue!! And my 165 was there for 3 years just fine, it was on 2, 4x10's the whole floor was 4x10 spaced 4 foot apart with 2 layers of 3/4 inch ply over it.

So it sounds like I should be ok. And Frank once your tank is set up I'll have to see it, if I remember right we are within walking distance of each other.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yea come on by any time always love to talk reef with someone.

Archived