Holy Crap, have you seen "The Cove" ?!?!

AquaticEngineer

It seriously blows my mind.

I remember watching film footage of Beluga whales being slaughtered on the news in the 80's when I was a kid and I couldnt believe it was happening then. To think that the same thing is happening, just to a smaller version of the same animals is mind blowing.

Millions of dollars spent every year looking for intelligent life on other planets, and we are still caging and killing the second most intelligent life form on our own planet.

Yeah I watched it and it made me cry and it takes a lot to make me cry in movies. However, anyone who has gone to Sea World or watched a dolphin/porpoise show is also guilty including yours truly. I thought it was interesting to hear from the trainer of Flipper that one of the dolphins in Flipper committed suicide. Really sad.

Just watched it today. I'm not much of an animal rights activist, but that movie infuriated me. We are planning a southern California trip with the kids for this spring. Sea World and Disneyland were top of my list. I have a lot of fond memories of Sea World as a kid and really wanted my kids to see it. No way on this planet I ever step foot on the property of Sea World again. Very sad! Like me, I'm sure 99% of the population is absolutely clueless as to what is going on, and that dolphins are truly that stressed in captivity. Just plain ignorance for me to think otherwise. I almost feel hypocritical stating this while I sit and watch my 120 gallon reef tank with all inhabitants in captivity. I guess for all of us, the best thing we can do is make sure we do a lot of research and keep up on feeding and husbandry, so our fish and coral can have the best life possible being stuck in a glass cage.

Just watched it today. I'm not much of an animal rights activist' date=' but that movie infuriated me. We are planning a southern California trip with the kids for this spring. Sea World and Disneyland were top of my list. I have a lot of fond memories of Sea World as a kid and really wanted my kids to see it. No way on this planet I ever step foot on the property of Sea World again. Very sad! Like me, I'm sure 99% of the population is absolutely clueless as to what is going on, and that dolphins are truly that stressed in captivity. Just plain ignorance for me to think otherwise. I almost feel hypocritical stating this while I sit and watch my 120 gallon reef tank with all inhabitants in captivity. I guess for all of us, the best thing we can do is make sure we do a lot of research and keep up on feeding and husbandry, so our fish and coral can have the best life possible being stuck in a glass cage.[/quote']

Well said John. I too have fond memories of Sea World and have swam with Dolphins and I was clueless. Here's a link to an article for those who don't have time right now to watch the movie.

http://thenewsbase.com/2009/12/why-flipper-committed-suicide-and-what-you-can-do-for-the-others/

Archived