How to skin a stand?

Frank

So i got the stand (metal) now it time to skin it.. Looking to see some other tanks and how they were done. Think for the stand going to go with a smooth look and have it look like the stand is part of the wall. I looking to see how the seams are done and lust how they look over all.

You have a vast array of options depending on what you want the final product to look like. You mention smooth but look like the wall and most walls are textured. So if you want it to match your wall exactly you would use sheetrock or MDF, Prime and texture ( I have a texture gun you can borrow)

MDF or HDF is the easiest to work with and can be routed to look as elegant as you want, you just have to smear a coat of thinned down glue on the raw edges before priming or the raw edges will take 2-3 coats of primer. Lowes carries 3/4", HomeDepot has 1/2" and theres an outfit between Tigard and Tualatin that has 1/4". Cheap-ish, fast, easy, as smooth as you can get without AS MUCH sanding mess

Countertop/Cabinet grade plywood painted or covered with whatever you choose like a laminate or wood veneer of any variety. By far the most expensive route but not by much

I'm gonna tag along here cause I'll have the same problem for a 90g stand I'll be building. I'm thinking of stretching black fabric over a 2x2 or 2x4 frame and hanging that frame on the stand on three sides. front panel would be in two parts. that way I could just pull any one of the 4 panels (2 sides, 2 front) off for the ultimate in access.

anyone tried that? might be worth looking into, Frank

You do not need any support, so you could use 3/8 or even 1/4. You can select any laminate (formica) from local store (sold in sheets). Use contact cement to glue laminate to plywood and you have a very durable surface. My son had custom cabinets made in a cherry. We wanted to make a cabinet to match that needed to be built in place. We found out what laminate they used and our cabinet looks exactly like the original. They even make a edge to match that is applied with hot iron (if needed). Otherwise, use trim to cover edges. If you did a laminate (white) on the inside you would have a waterproof and easily cleaned inner surface (at an extra cost).

^^^ Yep, I used 3/4" plywood for the strength, but you could get away with 1/2" or even 1/4", but the 1/4" likes to warp a bit. The laminate is sold at any of the Home depot or lowes in their cabinet section. Just go in and ask to see the samples and pick out and order, it takes about a week to get. They have anything from flat to gloss, even metal. The black sheets where about $65 for a 4x8 and I think like $90 for a 5x10. I was able to do my 12' stand with one of each.... I spend hundreds on stain and laquer for my previous stand, not to mention the hours and hours of application and sanding.... With this method you only need some contact cement and a laminate router with laminate bit!

I'm gonna tag along here cause I'll have the same problem for a 90g stand I'll be building. I'm thinking of stretching black fabric over a 2x2 or 2x4 frame and hanging that frame on the stand on three sides. front panel would be in two parts. that way I could just pull any one of the 4 panels (2 sides, 2 front) off for the ultimate in access.

anyone tried that? might be worth looking into, Frank

You know, you have a [language filter] good Idea there and you could take it one step further and build an acoustical trap using pegboard and fiberglass ( not attic isolation but rigid duct board)

I made my acoustic treatments for my home theater this way and used Duck cloth which is a decrative type canvas that looks like GOM fabric but nicer in my opinion . I used 2" fiberglass but they sell 3/4 rigid or just wrap the cloth directly around pegboard. I attached it to the wall with industrial velcro but if you planned right just weld a few nubs that the pegboard hangs on.

P7173477.jpg

P7183504.jpg

Well played burningbaal, you would have a one of a kind stand because Fabric is a really sleek look. Ive seen people skip the pegboard altogether and spray adhesive this directy to FSK fiberglass that was 45'd in a table saw, it looks very nice

Archived