Lighting

Bicyclebill

Ah crap. So my 8 month old Blue Wave MH ballast died. My MH bulbs are nearing replacement time. Do I bother doing MH all over again or go to 6 bulb T5? It's probably about the same cost either way I suppose. I'm trying to keep SPS this time around, which is why I invested in the MH in the first place. However, it sounds like plenty of you do just fine with T5. Is a 6 bulb fixture going to cut it on a 90G?

This is what I was telling you about at the meeting:

http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=10656

I replaced 5 of the bulbs with ATI bulbs-a mix of blue plus and purple plus, and one of the white ones they call Aquablue Special. I use those bulbs because of GrimReefer who did tons of par testing, and over the years they have served me well. Blue Plus is a high par skyblue looking actinic, so I don't need any "real" actinics. My lighting is very blue. I put the Aquablue Special and the yellowish white bulb that came with the fixture in the middle 2 slots, as those 2 have a switch so I can turn them off if it's too much light or I don't like the color. With this combo I have grown SPS and a nice RBTA, and 4 bulbs was actually enough on my 120. With this new light I usually have to only run 4 bulbs or the mushrooms and zoanthids bleach. Going to take the shrooms and zoas out cause I think the stylophoras do better with all 6 bulbs fired.

Anyway that is my 2 cents. I ordered a phoenix 14K for my propagation system which is 3 tanks plumbed together and ATI T5 bulbs over most of it. So soon I will be able to to tell you which is better for growth using the same water.

There is no splash guard on that fixture and no legs, so you need hangers. The ones with a pulley are awesome during maintenance. I always use lids anyways since my fish like to jump.

Kate

Archived