FLOW!!!! POLL

powdertang05

ok ive got a 120 that 48 long by 24 wide and 24 deep i was wanting some ideas on what flow you think would be the best, first i was going to go with 2 sea swirls with 4 out puts on the back also drivin by a dart. then i thought of using that same setup but with 1 seaswirl and the 4 out puts and spray bar in the back of the rock with a ocean motion for the wave maker. then i thought of that same setup but without the ocean motion and putting 2 6000 tunzes on a multi controller in the rocks with the 2 sea swirls and the 4 outputs and the spray bar. now right now on my main display i have about 1800gph in that from a close loop and a return now i have no problem with that on my 40 so thats why im thinking so big but i did want some help in deciding. thanks in advance

Well your talking 2 different thing. First, flow through. Sea Swirls will move more water than a SCWD. I have done both. I have a single seaswirl on the 110 and 2 on the 150. I am not into large flow through, to sump. But I do want good flow in tank. The 210 will have 2 6100 Tunzi and a 6000 single. I'm also going BB, with DSB in sump, and raised rock bed above that. :)IMG_1704.jpg this is the 150

well im going to do a close loop no matter what ive had them for years and love them so i know theirs a dart going to be in the setup so i guess the real question is should i have a ocean motion thats going to the 4 out puts from the dart and also have 2 6000 or 2 6100's or do sea swirls instead of the ocean motion and no tunze's or maybe just one.

I Think you need 2 tunzi if you do them, or you will have a linear flow, not good, and 4 ft wide, smaller ones 6000 or less. Now with a closed loop with 4 ocean motion and a dart. What flow dart?? 2800 or 3600? Where are the overflows?

I Think you need 2 tunzi if you do them, or you will have a linear flow, not good, and 4 ft wide, smaller ones 6000 or less

Disagree. If you are planning on getting the controller you will be fine with one Stream.

Also, if you are going to bare bottom you will have no problem with a 6100 in a 4 foot tank. You may have some issues if you are planning on using sand.

I currently have a 6100 in my 75g and love the flexibility if offers. The flow in my tank is fully adjustable.

I haven't used the TUNZE products yet, but my next SPS tank will have a closed loop and a stream with a controller.

I used to have a 4x2x2 BB with an ampmaster3000 hooked up to 2 1" seaswirls with 1000gph for the sump return.

The way I had the tank planned out was to have ALOT of flow in the upper and mid column of water. Unfortunately, I didn't think about the BB tank needs, and I ended up having to do more manual removal of detritus off the tank bottom.

If I redid that tank again, I would have the closed loop returns ALL bounce off the bottom of the tank, and put a stream or 2 in the mid water column.

The seaswirls were not as great as I had hoped.

My tank is 48x24x25 and I am running a Dart on a closed loop with 2, 1.5" inlets, 5 outlets. The outlets are 3, 3/4" fan nozzels across the lower back and 2, 3/4" seaswirls. I also have a Tunze 6000 running. The flow is decent but with my 1.5"-2" sandbed, I cant power the tunze up past about 50% or so. I also find that to get really good flow out of the two seaswirls, I must pretty much close the three outlets across the lower back. I sometimes go ahead and open the three outlets up all the way and blow out the rock while doing water change.

My return is a single 1" u-tube (directional/fan nozzel) connected to a Iwaki MD-40-RXT. About 600 gph or so with head.

I sometimes think that If I had it to do over again, I would skip the closed loop and just invest in 2 Tunze 6000 w/ multicontroller.

Dennis