quarantine tanks

J-Dog

Does anyone know if diamond gobies can survive in a quarantine tank without having substrate to sift through? I know it puts a lot of stress on a fish to be in a QT, so I didn't want to add any extra stress and kill them. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

For wrasses i just put a tupperware full of sand in there for them to sleep in. You could do the same just so the goby feels more at home being able to sift sand. The main thing is to make sure he has enough food to eat, thats why he sifts the sand :D

Just don't use the sand afterward, definitely throw it away.

From what i have been told Gobies have a good slim coat, so aren't as susceptible to ick and other parasites. If the goby is eating well, i would imagine that it would do fine. How about getting some sand from your tank, put it a short container and let it work that? He might just spit it out onto the QT floor. I added my goby directly into my DT.

From what i have been told Gobies have a good slim coat' date=' so aren't as susceptible to ick and other parasites. If the goby is eating well, i would imagine that it would do fine. How about getting some sand from your tank, put it a short container and let it work that? He might just spit it out onto the QT floor. I added my goby directly into my DT.[/quote']

Not quite true. Mandarins are less prone to ich but other gobies are just as prone as other fish. Maybe even more so in my opinion. Ich reproduces and attacks from the substrate, where gobies live so they are first to get hit. Coupled with scratching around in rubble and sand makes nice little areas to attach.

Just get some sand and add it with them in QT. That is what most the people do that house your fish before they get to you.

The reason why I don't want sand in my QT is because I don't want a place for the Ich to reproduce. I read that they burrow in the sand to lay their eggs and I'm trying to stop that process in order to kill the parasite. I would need to put all of my fish into the QT because they have all been exposed to the Ich in my DT. If they are all carrying the parasite, then they all need to be treated. I want to make sure my DT is fish free for at least 30 days to make sure the Ich has died.

Not quite true. Mandarins are less prone to ich but other gobies are just as prone as other fish. Maybe even more so in my opinion. Ich reproduces and attacks from the substrate, where gobies live so they are first to get hit. Coupled with scratching around in rubble and sand makes nice little areas to attach.

Just get some sand and add it with them in QT. That is what most the people do that house your fish before they get to you.

Thank you for correcting me! There is always something to learn!

The reason why I don't want sand in my QT is because I don't want a place for the Ich to reproduce. I read that they burrow in the sand to lay their eggs and I'm trying to stop that process in order to kill the parasite. I would need to put all of my fish into the QT because they have all been exposed to the Ich in my DT. If they are all carrying the parasite' date=' then they all need to be treated. I want to make sure my DT is fish free for at least 30 days to make sure the Ich has died.[/quote']

If you are treating with copper or hypo, this will eventually kill the parasite regardless of where its at.

In my opinion all the fish have some kind of parasites, however, they are impossible to be seen by the naked eye. If the fish are not stressed out in any way (water quality, other aggressive fish, etc) the parasites would not reproduce and take over the host. The fish should do just fine. good luck

Archived