Bad bad day

KMiller

Drew's been out of town since Thursday and will be home on Wednesday. I checked on the tank Friday and fed them, and made sure everything was ok.

Last night I went out to the Garage (where the tank is for a few more weeks until our 110 is cycled) and noticed a layer of brown algae on everything, and my beautiful huge rbta was way smaller, and brighter pink than normal. I checked the temp and it was in the 60's!!! I checked the heater and it had came unplugged. I plugged it back in.

I just rechecked the tank and none of the corals are out/open, the algae was covering everything, and the tank looked bad. I am not sure how long the heater had been unplugged, and how many times the temp had fluctuated and gotten lower! I am pretty sure I lost pretty much everything, including our huge green pipe organ.

I am so upset!! Drew is going to be furious with me! Looks like we'll be starting from scratch with our new tank, except fish. grr! (flame)

Moral of the story; CHECK YOUR TANK EVERY DAY!! (sad)(sad)(sad)

Sorry to hear that!

When I had my tank set up I was given a piece of frogspawn that the owner had broken off on accident only to find it week later in his fuge. He saw that I was looking for some coral and told me it was no guarantee but it still appeared alive. I gave it a nice spot in my tank and the guy tripled in size before I had to tear down my tank for my move up to Washington.

What I am trying to say is that coral may be very sensitive but they also seem to be very resilient at the same time. I would keep a very close eye on all your params and just wait and pray. You may see them pull through.

Ya, don't give up on the corals!! I had a heater go out in my garage a week ago on the frag tanks and the temp was at 58 deg during the day, and at night who knows, I got a heater back in it yestarday and the corals are almost back to normal, the sps still haven't polyped out but I think they will! Corals are much more tolarent of temp swings than the fish.

These corals are pretty hardy. It has happend to me too where my heater was dead and the tank was running around 65F for a few days. Until My wife touched it and said it was a lot cooler than the other tank. So we put the heater on and let it run for a few days. The corals came back after about a month or so. By the way this was my Nano (you have seen it). For bigger tank I usually put two heaters just in case if one goes out the other runs in overdrive and while doing monthly/weekly maintaince, you will find out.

Archived