hairy algae

sontdo

If possible get the rock out and "brush it off and then rinse before going back in-usually not an option so grabbing what you can with a brush works well and then add some turbos or even a sea hare once its all cycled

Its not common to get a hair algae outbreak so soon in a new set up-did you start with all new rock and sand

My memory fails me yet again....I actually got algae on my 1st two tanks and I think that was because I ran the lights-On my present (and last) tank, I never had the lights going during the cycle and the algae was not present-diatom was only a few days but thats mainly the CUC 's help

If you are running your lights, reduce the photo period or stop all together-they are not needed

I put in a seahare, facefox fish and sailfin Djardinis tang yesterday - all hairy algae gone in few hours! My water is ready for transferring LPS and chalice this week. I'm testing out few frags for now. I'll have pictures up later. I'm running 6 Reefstar LED units - 3 with optic lens. Very bright.

Sonny

Archived