Forgot to rinse Phosguard....

richmckee

You didn't mention how big a tank or how much phosgard. If there is a lot of dust and larger particulate matter floating about, you may consider running a "polishing filter" packed with filter floss and a layer or two of felt, or double up on your socks for a bit. If it's the white stuff, then it's aluminum oxide and I know nothing about it. If it's not white but a brown or rust color, then it's iron oxide and similar to GFO, and I have done the exact same thing without ill effects.

My concern would be the dust getting the the gills of fish, or settling on corals.

Thanks for the response.

It's a 60 gallon cube (12 gallon sump), 70 gph pump through a column filter with aluminum oxide as the filtration media. I have a polishing filter running as well so that is a relief. I guess I'll just monitor things. Thanks again for the suggestions.

You didn't mention how big a tank or how much phosgard. If there is a lot of dust and larger particulate matter floating about, you may consider running a "polishing filter" packed with filter floss and a layer or two of felt, or double up on your socks for a bit. If it's the white stuff, then it's aluminum oxide and I know nothing about it. If it's not white but a brown or rust color, then it's iron oxide and similar to GFO, and I have done the exact same thing without ill effects.

My concern would be the dust getting the the gills of fish, or settling on corals.

not disagreeing with anything but GFO stands for "Granulated Ferric Oxide" which is a fancy way of saying "iron oxide that's been ground to a certain diameter".

my point is that you're statement "iron oxide ...siimlar to GFO" was actually an understatement, chemically it's the same thing. technically, iron oxide is a less precise term (could be ferrous oxide), but ferrous oxide would be useless against phosphate, so I hope that's never confused.

not trying to say you're wrong...just trying to strengthen your point.

I love it. I went and dug up my old chemistry textbook and found all my undergrad notes too. It was a fun afternoon. Fe2O3. I understand that Iron can be utilized in a few different polymorphs, and I wasn't sure how they were different. But now you made me go look it up and try as I might to remember the chemistry classes I took 7 years ago. I have always used the term ferric in context of the bioavailability of ferric compounds such as in Siderophores.

Fun stuff for sure.

ferrous compounds are used biologically, so Fe-II and Fe-III both show up in biology a lot. in this case, it's the +2 ion that will bind phosphate because phosphate is PO4 2- (phosphorus&4 oxygens combined to have a negative 2 charge). so the phosphate has a -2 charge, so you need the +2 version of iron...that's ferric

I'm a scientist for a living, so this stuff is still stuck in my head :)

Archived