55 gallon-drilling

kriswaters

At this point, no. My LFS has Ro/DI water for $1 a container, no matter what the size. I am pretty much a home body and for the time being, top off shouldn't be a problem. I do plan on installing my on RO/DI unit, and then I will go with the auto top off.

LOL...there are already a variety of "little bugs" in it. It's been 24 hours and no leeks. I will leave it one more day then empty it. I will have to take apart my stand to get it under the tank! Luckily, there is no cross brace in the back, just 1/2 sheet of board. Shouldn't be to hard.

Kris

At this point' date=' no. My LFS has Ro/DI water for $1 a container, no matter what the size. I am pretty much a home body and for the time being, top off shouldn't be a problem. I do plan on installing my on RO/DI unit, and then I will go with the auto top off.[/quote']

Wow who sells water for $1 per container? Ive got a 100 gal tank for my truck maybe Ill go shop there too!

Will do...I live in Newberg and my LFS is a great place. The sell exotics as well. It's where I get the ferrett food, snake food, chameleon food, FW supplies.....I even met a breeder there and got my "baby puppy" AKA Raider, my 2 1/2 black lab.

Kris

The rock is looking good. Left it outside though and still having trouble getting the temp above 68 degrees. No worries though. I am still struggling with my overflow plans. The bulkhead is fairly long, and if I go with an external durso as planned, the tank would have to sit about 8-12 inches away from the wall to accomodate the plumbing. Going back to a single "corner" over flow drilled through the bottom of the tank. I don't think I will lose that much space and most of the plumbing would remain under the tank. Looks like another trip to multi-craft for a piece of black acrylic. I plan on moving the water inside and will plant it with some LR from my LFS. That ought to get things really cooking!

Thanks again.

Kris

8-12" mine is only like 6 max. heres a pic if it helps.

zootrip163.jpg

zootrip164.jpg

If you are using 1 1/4 pvc you may have to get your female adapter from the electrical section at HD.(its the gray pvc not sure sch.)

thats what I had to do but i ended up downsizing my pvc to 1" since i have low flow and didnt need the larger pipe and plus the weight of the pipe caused a flex in my gasket on the bulkhead and a slow leak.

Ok, retraction. I just did a little more research and got the "just" of this. It is not a siphon device, as it is a "gravity" device. AHHHHH light bulb came on! I under stand it now. LOL you should have seen me trying to test it. I was sucking water out of the little hole in the end cap trying to prime it.

Oh, life's lessons, aren't they fun?

Kris

good idea andy...i didnt think about doing that...[language filter]

8-12" mine is only like 6 max. heres a pic if it helps.

zootrip163.jpg

zootrip164.jpg

If you are using 1 1/4 pvc you may have to get your female adapter from the electrical section at HD.(its the gray pvc not sure sch.)

thats what I had to do but i ended up downsizing my pvc to 1" since i have low flow and didnt need the larger pipe and plus the weight of the pipe caused a flex in my gasket on the bulkhead and a slow leak.

How did you plump from the back to your sump? Did you use two 45's or 90's?

Kris

Success is great. I drilled my tank today, and it went without incident. We (hubby and I) used a 1 and 5/8 hole saw and it buttered right through the acrylic. The holes are in back, on each end of the tank. I am hoping that this will allow for better access to the plumping. I will pick up another bulk head tomorrow.

I also pulled off the back of the stand. It was 1/2 or 5/8 piece of particle board. I will not reuse it, but instead shore it up with 3-4 2x4's. Again, leaving me room for access.

I think I will go with the Mag7 for a return. Hopefully this will give me the right amount of circ in the tank.

I also move the rock and tub inside. This should allow for temp increase of the water. Some of the rocks are beauts.

I am getting closer!

Kris