55 gallon-drilling

kriswaters

Ok, I have a 55 gallon acrylic tank that was given to me. This is my "starter" tank. I am planning on drilling for the overflows and wanted a little advice.

A) Drill in each corner for even overflow.

B) Drill in the middle/back of the tank.

As far as the returns:

Its kinda narrow 14" and I don't think I should use up that much display room with returns.

A) Drill for returns with the overflow.

B) Plum them from the back of the tank.

Either way:

A) return in each corner pointing center.

B) two returns in the middle pointing opposite.

I plan on going with a SCWD for one return pump and just a directional flow with the second.

As of now, I have a 20 gallon sump (just glued yippie) and plan on using two smaller pumps for return. I am in to saftey and want a back up in case one fails.

Anyway, just thought I'd get some input.

Kris(plotting)

Could you tell me the measurements. I would do an external durso setup for the overflow. internal real estate could be saved. Centered would be fine. SCWD work well, but your gona want a pressure pump. You could also go with a single Sea Swirl in the center with Y connector

It is 48" x 14" by 20". I have looked into the external overflows. Frankly, they scare me to death. I worry about loosing shipon and having my display tank overflow and pumps burn out. This is still an option, but I need persuation. As for the SCWD, it will be powered by a pump and CL.

Kris

external durso isnt an external overflow like you are thinking. look at this thread: http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3231

the durso is just a type of standpipe that runs quiet and external just means the plumbing goes on the outside of the tank. wont lose suction like the esternal overflow hang on boxes. theres a link in that thread to a durso how-to page.

external durso isnt an external overflow like you are thinking. look at this thread: http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3231

the durso is just a type of standpipe that runs quiet and external just means the plumbing goes on the outside of the tank. wont lose suction like the esternal overflow hang on boxes. theres a link in that thread to a durso how-to page.

Gotcha! I have seen similar overflows but I certainly like this one! As a big DIY'er, it should be quite easy.

I bought a 1" bulkhead today from my LFS so hopefully hubby can help me drill tonight. The sump is all together, just waiting for it to "cure" properly and very anxious to put water in it to test.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Kris(clap)

okay...just took some pics of the rock I picked up tonight. I will figure out how to upload it here. As for the sump....good news/bad news.

Good news: filled it up, looked GREAT! No bows in the sides at ALL.

Bad News: A small leak ARGGGGG. Ok though, emptied it out and layed a thick bead of T-16 on the seam (outside). I think it will be fine. Of course, the leak is on the bottom, and in between the baffles so I can't really get to it from the inside, until, that is, I come up with some ingenious idea.

The bug is bitting hard!!! Can't wait to see my rock tank LOL.

Kris

ok, look at the top row when you post, 2nd to last. click on it. It opens another window. This is where you copy the link, as you added in your post, but you put them here in the new box, one at a time, be sure to press enter after each entry, so there(the links) are stacked. Try it with one. Go to photo bucket, below your pic there are 3 links, click the top one(don't open it) and save, then add to the box as above, oh yea, when you first open it , it will have "http"deleate, then paste(copy)

Cool stuff, have fun :-) In some ways I think you're currently at the 'best' point of the hobby, everything is potential (cue Carly Simon singing Anticipation, while Spock voice-overs "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."... [language filter], that's kind'a depressing, nerdy and over-the-hill.)

CCR-what a tank, I hope I can graduate to something like that someday. Glad I could teach you a few new tricks as well!

GOOD NEWS:

1) Filled the sump again and NO leaks.

2) SG stabilized in my rock storage to 1.021 (haven't test for params yet)

3) Went to HD and bought about $40 worth of plumbing for the overflow (I love plumbing)

4) I am no longer a "toad fish"!

Here is a pic with the sump and water. I plan on letting it set for a few days to make sure there is no leaks. I will pick up my return pump this weekend and try a test run with the skimmer and the return to make sure the operation is goooood.

Kris

tank003.jpg

tank002-1.jpg

tank001-1.jpg