bubble algae question

J-Dog

Does any type of CUC critter eat bubble algae? I think I'm getting the first sign of bubble algae in my tank, but don't know what to do. I have read that u aren't supposed to remove it or pop it, so what are my other options? I tried to suck it out with a turkey baster, but it's in a very tight spot and I can't reach it. I think someone told me emerald crabs eat it, but I can't seem to keep any alive in my tank because there is no algae for them to eat and they starve (the 2 I've had died of starvation, I think (scratch)). Is there anything else I can try?

From my experience emerald crabs are actually pretty hardy. I have had one since day 3 of my tank(didnt know better at the time) keep in mind they are inverts and thus are sensitive to nitrates. what are your tank stats? emerald crabs will eat whatever meaty bits of left over food they can find not just bubble algae so there may be another underlying issue there.

Emeralds are indeed the easiest solution to the problem. I was taking care of a tank once that had a tremendous amount of bubble algae. It looked like a gypsies Christmas or something in there. I added a dozen emeralds and within a couple of weeks they had taken all of the Christmas decorations down and things were looking real good. The males and the ones with larger claws tend to do a better job getting at the larger bubble algae from what I have exerienced.

Thanks for the info guys. As for my 2 emeralds that died, they both turned white after a few months, then died shortly after. I was told that if they don't get any green algae to eat, then they lose their color. I can only assume they died from starvation, since I have no idea what else would have killed them. None of my other inverts have had problems, so I am stumped once again. I'm not sure if I want to get another emerald and have it starve again.

Archived